• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LeakedIn.org - check if your password was leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Anyway, at the time the file was created, mine still hadn't been broken, unlike 3,521,180 out of the 6,143,150 in there
    That's the key point. Just because my password didn't show up as being cracked doesn't mean that it's not on a list still waiting to be processed.

Fortunately I've been generating unique passwords for new sites for at least a couple of years.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      You really typed your password into that website? Well if it wasnt leaked it could be now. (Assuming it wasnt already)
      Yep. After I had updated LinkedIn with a new password.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Names (mostly girls') were pretty common, as were various varieties of booze.
        Yep. We wanted to get into an accounts package once when the boss was unreachable (missing, presumed drunk).

I'd been wittering at him for a while not to use his wife's or daughter's names.

It didn't take many tries to get in.

Comment

WGAS anyway, if someone logs into your linkedin and changes your CV. A lot of people think highly of themselves, a hacker will not be interested in the average moron on LinkedIn, and if you used the same password for other sites then you deserve to be hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            I've just changed mine to wanttoseemytits too.
            Hash: 077d9bd01a60e7f18b70055f50d32659c9b6a479

Looks like your password was not leaked. Hooray!

Comment

My Amazon account could have been turned over.

feckin idiots, whatever the form of the password it should be never be allowed to go out the DB again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Looks like mine hasn't been leaked. LinkedIn was on the "generic" list which just got the same password as it wasn't important.

These days salting really should be made mandatory.
                Yep, salt the hash, but also make sure it varies for each record.
                Plus enforce a few rules - eg 8 chars minimum, at least 1 digit + uppercase + symbol...
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  Just checked the passwords for linkedin and all of my credit and debit cards, Bank accounts, Paypal, ebay and Amazon.

None of them are on there so no need to change any of them
                  I for one found this hilarious... there are some people would have meant it tho.
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    Plus enforce a few rules - eg 8 chars minimum, at least 1 digit + uppercase + symbol...
                    Which means that "Passw0rd!" is OK, but "correct horse battery staple" isn't.

It's madness, I tell ya!

P.S. Windows Server 2008 Active Directory wants 3 out of 4 of your criteria by default. "Passw0rd" does that.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 7 June 2012, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      Which means that "Passw0rd!" is OK, but "correct horse battery staple" isn't.

It's madness, I tell ya!

P.S. Windows Server 2008 Active Directory wants 3 out of 4 of your criteria by default. "Passw0rd" does that.
                      I bet "correct horse battery staple" is now a fairly common password, especially on tech sites.

Comment

Working...
                      X