• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Derby House Fire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now in other news

BBC News - Geoffrey Reed murder: Three jailed for child rapist killing

Three men have been jailed for life for murdering a sex offender from Dorset.

Stuart Wareham, 26, his half-brother Lee Wareham, 33, and Benjamin Walter, 22, beat Geoffrey Reed to death, before putting his body in a suitcase and burying it in woodland.

At Winchester Crown Court, Stuart Wareham got a minimum 20-year term. The other men must serve at least 18 years.

Reed, who spent time in jail for raping two people including a child, was killed at home in Cecil Road, Boscombe.

Passing sentence, Judge John Griffith Williams said Reed, 57, was "brutally murdered" in a "terrifying attack".

Words fail me on sentencing.

After the verdict, Det Insp Stewart Balmer of Dorset Police said the three men "did their best to cover up their actions" by pretending Reed was missing.

"Nobody is entitled to take the law into their own hands and everyone has a right to life.

"Mr Reed may have had a chequered past but regardless of this nobody deserves to die in such a violent manner," he said.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Derby House Fire

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Maybe I'm just soft, but I do feel sorry for her. Not saying she doesn't deserve the sentence, but from what's been said in the papers it sounds like she was bullied into going along with the plan, and probably had no real influence over idiot husband's actions. Years of psychological abuse leaving her feeling like her opinion counted for nothing.
      Really? At the end of the day she still chose him over her kids until the very end. I'd have believed that defense if she'd eventually confessed, but she never did. Additionally she also made completely unevidenced claims about having been abused by her father.

It's typical sexist BS - people just don't like seeing a woman guilty of something as f***ed up as this.

For what it's worth, I'd have more doubts about how involved Moseley really was in this.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        There comes a point where even though the intention was never to take life the actions were so reckless and so clearly life endangering that they should be considered murder.

The guy should just be put away for the remainder of his natural life.
        When he comes out he will be on license this means anything he does if the police are called he has a high chance of ending up back in prison.

The probation service will also force him to tell any woman he has a relationship with that he threatens, injuries and kills woman who try and leave him.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          When he comes out he will be on license this means anything he does if the police are called he has a high chance of ending up back in prison.

The probation service will also force him to tell any woman he has a relationship with that he threatens, injuries and kills woman who try and leave him.
          And he'll find it hard to get a job. Right.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            There comes a point where even though the intention was never to take life the actions were so reckless and so clearly life endangering that they should be considered murder.
            It seems to me that setting fire to a building knowing there's people inside isn't all that different to pointing a gun at a crowd of people and pulling the trigger. The excuse that you didn't intend to kill doesn't really wash.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
              And he'll find it hard to get a job. Right.
              Job? Who's talking about him ever working? Why would he break a habit of a lifetime?

He does have the strong risk that his own family will beat the sh*t out of him if he comes out let alone members of the public.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Maybe I'm just soft, but I do feel sorry for her. Not saying she doesn't deserve the sentence, but from what's been said in the papers it sounds like she was bullied into going along with the plan, and probably had no real influence over idiot husband's actions. Years of psychological abuse leaving her feeling like her opinion counted for nothing.
                Agreed, but more simply than that she pretty obviously of very low intelligence to get involved with a vile manipulative piece of scum like Philpott. Not only that but like the poor woman who got badly burned last year trying to pour petrol in her kitchen next to a gas flame, she probably had no idea what an incredibly dangerous thing she was agreeing to. Makes you wonder what would have happened if she had gone to the police and turned him in - would they have ingored her and sent her back to get beaten to a pulp? From the little I have had to do with the police I would have no confidence in being protected by them.

Personally I think he should never see the light of day again, and sadly will probably be in a vulnerable prisoners unit so he wont get what's coming to him.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                  Really? At the end of the day she still chose him over her kids until the very end. I'd have believed that defense if she'd eventually confessed, but she never did. Additionally she also made completely unevidenced claims about having been abused by her father.

It's typical sexist BS - people just don't like seeing a woman guilty of something as f***ed up as this.

For what it's worth, I'd have more doubts about how involved Moseley really was in this.
                  From what I read, it sounds as if she was very much under his thumb - to the point of performing sex acts on his friend that she did not want to do. The whole premise of this thing was to fit up the mistress that had left him - he was clearly a nasty, vindictive individual. He was much older than her - and it's probable that he'd long since robbed her of any self esteem, self respect or self belief. She may even have been physically scared of him - he had a history of extreme violence. There's a world of difference between him saying "Let's set fire to the house" and her saying "great idea, I'll buy the kerosene" and her being bullied into going along with it against her better judgement because her judgement has been undermined so often it no longer exists. Of course, we don't know what actually happened, and maybe she was fully up for it in which case her sentence is very lenient, but yes, I do feel sorry for her - it seems she has lost her children because she was not strong enough to stand up to her violent, manipulative, scumbag husband. She could have and should have walked away a long time ago, but the very nature of psychological abuse makes the victim believe that they have no option but to stay - the concept of rational choice is not present. I think she's paid the price and eight and a half years in jail is a doddle compared to knowing your kids are dead and you could have stopped it.

Comment

I reckon he'll do himself in.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      I reckon he'll do himself in.
                      I don't. He's far too self centred. He's probably already planning how best to sell his story.

Comment

Working...
                      X