• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Mail: Ocado turns to Poland for IT staff; UK IT graduate shortage blamed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I kind of agree with you here.

I was offered a gig in Poland for an EU position which paid quite well (permie) €55000 and gave an allowance for children which added €4000 per child and then gave an allowance based on where you came from in the EU, with certain countries getting more and obviously others less. There's a freedom of movement here, which should mean prices straighten out over time, hopefully not in a race to the bottom.

However, it strikes me as a bit disingenious to be stating it's because there aren't any graduates here. That's simply not true, and I wish they were being a bit more open about it e.g. look, we improve our profitability by doing this.

Shame really, but I'll be stopping the weekly shop with them.
    They probably employ a team of utterly useless internal recruiters
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

And in more , totally unexpected news, More firms to offshore UK jobs

More firms to offshore UK jobs - Telegraph
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

Originally posted by from the article
        However, the CIPD survey showed some employers offshoring jobs might live to regret it, with more than a quarter of companies that have shifted jobs overseas now looking to relocated operations back to the UK.
        Move along now, nothing to see here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

About time we started offering tax incentives to stop offshoring.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If it wasn't about lower cost then they'd bring in those talented people to UK - it's always easier to solve problems with somebody who can be shouted at in person

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Was your mental cleaner local or Eastern European?
              Local, more's the surprise..

Comment

I shall never use Ocado again!!!

Oh I don't the 's as they're too expensive.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

this is more exciting

UK manufacturing is coming home - Telegraph
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The cost of setting up a business is not just staff, there is equipment and materials.

China has been on a buying spree, and now owns many machine manufacturing companies and sources of raw materials.

It is now very difficult for companies to start-up in manufacturing as China owns the supply chain.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I have done my fair share of graduate recruiting/interviewing. The graduates of today really are a deluded lot. Some were asking a starting salary of 30K odd. The expected salaries seemed to depend on how much mortgage they had to take to buy a house. The expectation level among graduates is quite high in terms of how much they can earn. The attitude was one of them doing me a favour by taking up a position in our company rather than actually being grateful that there were companies hiring graduates in this climate.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X