• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Porsche 911 are you driving?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    And suffer massive depreciation in addition to laying out a huge wedge of cash!?

Yeah, ok!
    Not only that, but I wouldnt like to own a car that I had been thrashing the t1ts off for 3 years
    World's Best Martini

Comment

If you are doing 25 - 30k a year for 2 years you're looking at 50 - 60k.

Salesmen know that stupid buyers prefer an old car with low miles rather than a new car with high miles hence, 2 y/o cars with 50- 60k on the clock are a lot harder to shift.

As i said, most franchised dealers wont stock car with 60k on the clock.
      But some companies will do quick turnarounds to keep cars going through the books. I didn't need to keep the car for 2 years if they want it back earlier. My mate gets a new BMW every few months on exactly that sort of deal. The car is his for up to 18 months or 10k then it goes back and he gets another one. This is so that they can turnover their allocated number of sales without having to pre register loads of unsold cars. There used to be a company that offered huge discounts on new cars based on this premise that the dealer made no cash on the car but it was better for them to notch the sale up rather than take a car they would have been forced to pre-register and sell as an ex demo...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        But some companies will do quick turnarounds to keep cars going through the books. I didn't need to keep the car for 2 years if they want it back earlier. My mate gets a new BMW every few months on exactly that sort of deal. The car is his for up to 18 months or 10k then it goes back and he gets another one. This is so that they can turnover their allocated number of sales without having to pre register loads of unsold cars. There used to be a company that offered huge discounts on new cars based on this premise that the dealer made no cash on the car but it was better for them to notch the sale up rather than take a car they would have been forced to pre-register and sell as an ex demo...
        Nah. The only people able to do this are involved with a manufacturer's fleet sales. Had a mate who did this with Peugeot (sp?). He was allowed to put 10k on the car then change it. But, he worked for Peugeot and he had to pay for the car. It cost him a fortune as he was always paying for a car ie over 10 years he was doing it until he realised how much money he had spent.

As you say, they do it to get sales registrations up and so the cars can hit the market as pre owned, one owner and low miles. Despite this, they dont sell them that cheap and if they do, they give a crap trade in on your old car.

But, you're not going to find any car manufacturer that's going to let someone put 25 - 30k on a car this way then hand it back. They'd lose too much money on the car and would find it hard to shift.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

And suffer massive depreciation in addition to laying out a huge wedge of cash!?

Yeah, ok!
          But hang on...

Depreciation is a given regardless of if you:

Buy a brand new car out right for dirty cash.
          Take a PCP Lease . (worse because you have paid 7k on top of the car in interest and don't own it at the end...)
          Take a straight HP and keep the car for ever. (Still have 7k worth of interest on top.)

The only time that depreciation does not get you is if you have access to a fleet discount which in most cases gets rid of the first years depreciation.

Comment

Some time ago I had a 911 (993)Targa for about 4 years (and 30k in depreciation !).
            Paid cash after building up decent warchest and having a moment of madness (I didn't have a house either !)
            Financially this was dodgy, that cash invested (or in a house)would go a decent way to setting me up for life by now and when the arse fell out of my obsolete skills I moved through an SLK to a Golf Diesel.
            It was fun but a bugger to drive in traffic and slowly, it was champing to go faster, servicing and a couple of repairs were brutal too.
            Apparently you run out of time before you run out of money but not on that occasion !!

Comment

Yeah, ok!
              I bought my last car, AMG, brand new and after 5 years and 170,000km it had paid for itself as I used it as a company car. All tax written off, VAT claimed back on everything to do with it, etc. Used it to px for the new one and that looks like its going the same way. I just put everything like that down to business...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                I bought my last car, AMG, brand new and after 5 years and 170,000km it had paid for itself as I used it as a company car. All tax written off, VAT claimed back on everything to do with it, etc. Used it to px for the new one and that looks like its going the same way. I just put everything like that down to business...
                You really would not want to try that in the UK but a very good choice of car

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                  All the best ones have been missed off the list!

70's 911 2.7 RS
                  80's 911 Speedster
                  80's 911 RSR
                  80's 911 (930) Club Sport
                  90's 911 (993) RS

Put the proper ones up there. All the ones you've listed are the ostentatious versions for the fat, middle aged, balding man!
                  All widow makers, and all with dubious handling. 993 last of the air cooled iirc. 2012 GT3 RS is one of the best Porsches there has been, for raw speed, lateral G load and just outrigth acceleration.

Best '911', was the 959.

Give me a 288GTO over the lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                    All widow makers, and all with dubious handling. 993 last of the air cooled iirc. 2012 GT3 RS is one of the best Porsches there has been, for raw speed, lateral G load and just outrigth acceleration.

Best '911', was the 959.

Give me a 288GTO over the lot of them.
                    No doubt that some of them required huge 'cajones' to drive quick but are definite classics. Modern 911's are no doubtably quicker but have lost a lot of the personality and charm of the older ones.

If you were after out and out acceleration, it wouldn't be a Porsche I would be buying. I had a Mitsubishi Evo 1 RS which was a 93 model with 860bhp, did 60 in 2.4 secs, 9.89 quarter and left everything for dead around Oulton Park....and it was a £10K car.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                      No doubt that some of them required huge 'cajones' to drive quick but are definite classics. Modern 911's are no doubtably quicker but have lost a lot of the personality and charm of the older ones.

If you were after out and out acceleration, it wouldn't be a Porsche I would be buying. I had a Mitsubishi Evo 1 RS which was a 93 model with 860bhp, did 60 in 2.4 secs, 9.89 quarter and left everything for dead around Oulton Park....and it was a £10K car.
                      Evos can be ridiculously tuned, but it wouldn't be a £10k car with 860bhp. I tuned a 2.5 turbo Volvo engine to 450bhp and it cost a ridiculous amount.

I had a friend with a 750bhp R33 road car that he just didn't have the ability to control, and he used to scare me rigid in it.

If I wanted out and out acceleration, I would probably buy an Ultima and have some proper fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X