• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Porsche 911 are you driving?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    you know what I'd rather drive something I own outright
    WHS

Comment

Saab lover here too , used to have a 93-Convertible aero beast. Drove like a fast tank (if you know what I mean)
      Shame they are dead now
      I Just picked up a 2002 93SE convertible over Christmas. I got it for less than a tenth of the price I paid for one new in 1999 and it drives as good as the day I drove the other one out of Saab City It was stop gap car for a few weeks till I could find a decent SL but I think this is going to stick around for a while now (pissed off because I had convinced the wife it was time I had a new toy )

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        If its on a Porsche PCP and has the agreed mileage on it, they cant refuse to take it back.

In any event, it goes back to Porsche GB Finance not the original selling garage so really dont know where you are coming from with this.
        I wasn't buying it on finance. I was a cash buyer that wanted to know how much cash I would have for my next toy when I got bored of washing it and wanted a change.
        Porsche were just being upfront with me when I told them I changed cars roughly once every 2 years and generally put about 40 to 80k on them while I have them. The salesman was going through his sales patter about "Oh sir porsches never depreciate and we always pay a high trade in for them etc etc" having owned Toyotas, Mercs, Saabs , Hondas, an Audi and a few Range Rovers and lost tonnes of money on all of them. I was surprised to hear a salesman have the balls to spout something like that.

So off the back of that conversation it seems to me that Porsches are fine as long as you never drive it or if you do have the nerve to use it to drive, never want to sell it on in the first 5 years... Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          +1

I was about to say that I had more fun in my MR2 than any car before or after, With the added bonus that brand new, it cost me less than the first years depreciation on a decent porker. I went from an MR2 to an SL Merc then when I finally had to go and find a 4 seater, for all the extra horses and bling the Porsche just didn't feel worth 50k more than the MR2. I gave up and went back to a SAAB.

Out of interest when I looked at owning a 911 from new it seemed to me that you had no chance of getting rid of it if you actually wanted to drive it. Porsche seemed intent on wanting a shiny 3yo 911 back with 10k on the clock or they would sulk. When I told the guy that I generally put 25-40k on the clock every year he almost choked and said that they probably would not want it back. Have worked with many porsche owners over the years that would take the train to avoid clocking up the miles... Seems to defeat the point of it to me.

How do the owners out there handle excessive milage?
          I bought a 997 Gen2 Cab (4S) new in 2010 intending to use it only in the good weather, while using my old 993 C2 for everything else.

The trouble is 911's are addictive because they are useable, problem free daily drivers. The mileage can soon rack up but keep to the average 12k a year and you shouldn't have the problem chopping it in. They will bend over backwards to get you into a new car and are usually give decent discounts on list. Some of the dealers wont budge but most will when they know your serious.

Look on the bright side, you couldn't even do these sort of problem free mileages in a Ferrari or Aston. They are way too fragile.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
            I bought a 997 Gen2 Cab (4S) new in 2010 intending to use it only in the good weather, while using my old 993 C2 for everything else.

The trouble is 911's are addictive because they are useable, problem free daily drivers. The mileage can soon rack up but keep to the average 12k a year and you shouldn't have the problem chopping it in. They will bend over backwards to get you into a new car and are usually give decent discounts on list. Some of the dealers wont budge but most will when they know your serious.

Look on the bright side, you couldn't even do these sort of problem free mileages in a Ferrari or Aston. They are way too fragile.
            When I drive to work I tend to rack up serious miles (I will happily drive from the west country into the clients London offices on a daily basis) So I would never buy an expensive car with the hope of keeping the milage low just so the next guy gets a new car for half price. I used to invest in cars because I spend more time in them than at home.

Comment

The problem that you beetle drivers have, and probably aren't sufficiently self-aware to realise, is that everyone else thinks you are utter tossers. I have a friend that has driven 911s for years, and has recently changed up to an F430 convertible. The biggest benefit to him - in his words - is that people have stopped calling him a ****** and now respect his motor.

On that note, may lad asked me why a fellow contractor has an F430, while I don't. I had to explain that he and his mum are the reason that I don't have an F430...
              World's Best Martini

Comment

If you want to stand out a bit then this car manufacturer (just up the road from where I work) is rather nice, what I would like to get next.

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So in conclusion apart from DimPrawn and minsky1 this forum is full of losers, liars and Walter Mitty characters.

How depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                    The problem that you beetle drivers have, and probably aren't sufficiently self-aware to realise, is that everyone else thinks you are utter tossers. I have a friend that has driven 911s for years, and has recently changed up to an F430 convertible. The biggest benefit to him - in his words - is that people have stopped calling him a ****** and now respect his motor.

On that note, may lad asked me why a fellow contractor has an F430, while I don't. I had to explain that he and his mum are the reason that I don't have an F430...
                    WHS

Comment

you know what I'd rather drive something I own outright
                      And suffer massive depreciation in addition to laying out a huge wedge of cash!?

Yeah, ok!
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X