• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What classic car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do like that Series 2 Land Rover. Must say that, unless you want to tour the country Land Rovers make nice classics with the added bonus that you can go open top and dead straight forward to work on should you want to have a bash. I have a 1981 Series 3 that I drove to the top of this:

Carntogher, Sperrins, Northern Ireland

Don't mind admitting I was rather twitchy on the way up, but once I got into 4-wheel-drive it was no problem at all.

Comment

MGA drophead in light blue.

Restored, would cost circa 25 grand but would appreciate.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

How about an old Rover 3.5 Coupe. Proper old school.

I love old Italian Cars, so the GTV6 would be there, with a Monte Carlo or something like that. Could pick up a nice alfetta for that, or a 75 V6 (still one of the best engines about).

How about an old VW 411E, or fastback?

Be prepared to spend an inordinate amount of your time fixing the things though. Even a car considered reliable in its day would be nothing compared to a 3 yo Cee'd or something like that

What about a BMW 1602/2002 needing some work? Saab 99?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          Even a car considered reliable in its day would be nothing compared to a 3 yo Cee'd or something like that
          I am in the Contractor forum, aren't I?!

Surely no-one on here owns a Kia do they? This was supposed to be a thread about classic cars... somehow Kia and classic don't quite go together.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
            I am in the Contractor forum, aren't I?!

Surely no-one on here owns a Kia do they? This was supposed to be a thread about classic cars... somehow Kia and classic don't quite go together.
            It was more of a comparison i.e. Reliable cars of 1970-1990 wouldn't hold a candle to the reliability of a modern day car of no reputation. I would suggest it was almost impossible to buy a bad car nowadays, a very unreliable one, whereas in 1970, it was a roll of the dice buying a new car. It's just simply saying if you do buy an old classic of any description, be prepared to spend an awful lot of time on the side of the road, or underneath it. That's all I was trying to say.
            HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              It was more of a comparison i.e. Reliable cars of 1970-1990 wouldn't hold a candle to the reliability of a modern day car of no reputation. I would suggest it was almost impossible to buy a bad car nowadays, a very unreliable one, whereas in 1970, it was a roll of the dice buying a new car. It's just simply saying if you do buy an old classic of any description, be prepared to spend an awful lot of time on the side of the road, or underneath it. That's all I was trying to say.
              HTH
              You also need to factor in all the other compromises. Even a decent 70s car will seem fairly agricultural next to something like a focus. The whole driving experience will be different. The roadholding, steering and brakes (or the lack of) will take a bit of getting used to, fuel economy will be rubbish, and you may have to do without mod cons like a decent heater. They are also going to be much less safe in the event of an accident.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

indeed. they will mist up and stay cold and/or get too hot, make worrying noises, constantly break out with rust bubbles, refuse to start.. even the most spartan classic will cost as much as a new car to keep running and it will still break down.

but

there is the awesome grin factor. engines, oil, chrome and rubber... what a great hobby. taking a jalopy to restored beauty is a money pit but it is great fun.

the thing you need more than anything is space. somewhere to store it and the spare parts version that you will inevitably need and then room enough to work on them safely and securely.

Comment

Working...
                X