• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What classic car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    How's about a 2CV - don't see many of those about these days.
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Don't do French.

J'espère que cette aide
    You can probably have more fun with a deux-deuche than almost any other vehicle... in its way

Maybe consider building a Lomax?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I was looking at MGs. Midget looks nice, and some MGs, but I'm fussy. I wanted spoked wheels and chrome bumpers, not plastic bumpers.
      So many cars to choose from; just some ideas around your budget, depends how much work you want to do;

MG, Triumph GT6, Spitfire or Herald, Rover P5 or P6, TR8, ropey Jensen Interceptor, Mk 2 Zephyr or Zodiac, Sunbeam Alpine etc etc..

get a copy of Practical Classics for some ideas, plenty of ads in the back.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        So many cars to choose from; just some ideas around your budget, depends how much work you want to do;

MG, Triumph GT6, Spitfire or Herald, Rover P5 or P6, TR8, ropey Jensen Interceptor, Mk 2 Zephyr or Zodiac, Sunbeam Alpine etc etc..

get a copy of Practical Classics for some ideas, plenty of ads in the back.
        The price of classics has risen more than people realise. You would have to be very lucky to get a good Rover P5 or any kind of Jensen for £5K. You should be okay with the Triumphs you've listed.

If you've not had a classic before, just remember they are a world away in terms of driving from moderns and do need looking after.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          The price of classics has risen more than people realise. You would have to be very lucky to get a good Rover P5 or any kind of Jensen for £5K. You should be okay with the Triumphs you've listed.

If you've not had a classic before, just remember they are a world away in terms of driving from moderns and do need looking after.
          There are asking prices and then there are the prices people actually get. In my experience they are a world apart. (....I actually have two classic cars for sale at the moment for a lot more than £5k...)
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            There are asking prices and then there are the prices people actually get. In my experience they are a world apart. (....I actually have two classic cars for sale at the moment for a lot more than £5k...)
            Are you suggesting that the two you are selling are overpriced?

I too know my classics and if you could find a half way decent P5 for £5K I would be quite impressed. Even the less fashionable 3-Litre are £10K for a tip-top one. If it's a starter classic I really would recommend the best otherwise you'll be rapidly be put off the whole idea when things go wrong.

I would agree there's strong money being asked for some cars. There's a good variation in the price of E-Types for example.

Comment

I think the term 'Classic' nowadays includes a great range of cars and I personally think the more modern Classics of the late 70's and 80's are more appealing. Probably due to that fact that that was my 'era' growing up I guess.

I have seen a few of the following for cheap money...

1. S2 / S3 Lotus Esprit - See a few for £4 - 5K - Runners, but needing TLC.
              2. Porsche 928 - Great looking coupe, most probably a nightmare if they go wrong.

I spent years with my dad helping restore a Frogeye Sprite to concours condition and shared his pain everytime he broke down by the side of the road, miles from home. From an engineeing perspective, technology came on leaps and bounds over a short period of time from 60's barn-door engineering to moderately sophisticated engines of the 70's and 80's.

70's / 80's all the way for me...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                I think the term 'Classic' nowadays includes a great range of cars and I personally think the more modern Classics of the late 70's and 80's are more appealing. Probably due to that fact that that was my 'era' growing up I guess.

I have seen a few of the following for cheap money...

1. S2 / S3 Lotus Esprit - See a few for £4 - 5K - Runners, but needing TLC.
                2. Porsche 928 - Great looking coupe, most probably a nightmare if they go wrong.

I spent years with my dad helping restore a Frogeye Sprite to concours condition and shared his pain everytime he broke down by the side of the road, miles from home. From an engineeing perspective, technology came on leaps and bounds over a short period of time from 60's barn-door engineering to moderately sophisticated engines of the 70's and 80's.

70's / 80's all the way for me...
                Pretty much spot on. I have just bought a 1986 Merc 300SL for £6K and spent about £1.5K getting it spot on. Beautifully built and quick enough for me.

Comment

Gotta be a Capri innit?

Ford : Ford Capri 2.8i, X Reg, 4 Speed.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    Pretty much spot on. I have just bought a 1986 Merc 300SL for £6K and spent about £1.5K getting it spot on. Beautifully built and quick enough for me.
                    Agreed. Even basic runabouts such as I used to rent came a long way in the early to mid 80s.

Porsche 928 though? A mate had one 10 years ago and it was a couple of grand or more for a new clutch.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

An old fave of mine

Lancia : Lancia Montecarlo Now Reduced to £4600

Comment

Working...
                      X