• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attitude of people on low pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    well we used to pay ours £7.50 per hour

she was okay but....... would rather sit n chat about her hard luck stories than clean so we decided to clean the house ourselves.

but my experience, not specifically of cleaners but of many, many people who are doing unskilled/maual labour is that a job is something to go to if you cannot think of anything better to do that day or if you need the money

rightly or wrongly this fact that they may be 'letting' someone down or 'breaking' a commitment really does not even come into it
    Do you know what I got told off by someone for suggesting this. But I think you're right.

Got told by a friend I was snobby and that just because someone gets paid lower doesnt mean they're less valuable. I did point out that this was just my experience and that they're always going to be in a lower paid job if thats the way they treat people.

I know I moan about clients but know full well that not turning up without an explanation or otherwise letting them down more than once is going to probably mean a dose of no more contract.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Normally I would hit her with a big stick but she has been ill.
      that's probably why you are having cleaner problems, using the rule of thumb is now called ABH.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        We recently hired a cleaner who came recommended from a cousin over in the next town. The cleaner is a lovely girl, 20 years old who has been in the country only 4 years or so but yet speaks almost fluent English. She's studying for a Childcare qualification and cleans homes on the side for a couple of days a week.

A real sad story because her dad passed away and then her mother brought the kids (this cleaner and her brother) over to the UK. A year later the mother left the kids and ran off with some bloke. The poor kids now live in a hostel and have social workers guiding them, but it makes me proud of them to think that they are picking themselves up, working to earn a little on the side and studying for a better life. And she does a great job too, doesn't complain just gets on with it, grateful for the job and happy with whatever she is paid.

And she's so timid, shy, I guess due to the difficult circumstances life has thrown at her. The kind of girl one dreams of saving and offering a better life to
        And it annoys me that lazy arses in this country won't turn up yet will quite happily moan about foreigners coming over her taking their jobs.

Wife finally got hold of cleaner who was supposed to be here today. Her story - turned up 30 mins early and there was no-one there so assumed you didnt want cleaner any more. Yes thank you - bye.

1) If you arrange a time, turn up then (especially if its the 1st time).
        2) If you do turn up early, and theres no-one there, expect to wait until agreed time - dont just go home.
        3) Alternatively, ring the person to let them know you're outside their house.
        4) Definitely don't then not answer the phone for the next 4 hours when the person who you were supposed to clean for this morning is ringing you.

Maybe its genuine but shes had her chance. If the first appt causes drama, past experience has shown me that she'll just be one of those who fails to turn or some other drama every other week.

Comment

Do you know what I got told off by someone for suggesting this.
          Well bless my buttons! That would give pause for thought.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            most parents want to see their kids become high achievers, thats natural
            I have been encouraging my granddaughter to go to college.
            But she wants everything in style, not realising that when she is in she is out.

I tried to point out the basic fact that if that was her attitude, then she would not mean a single thing without, those handbags and those gladrags, that I had to sweat so hard to buy.
            Of course, when I found out that she missed school today, I decided to suggest to her (asap) that she just throws them all away,
            the items in question being those handbags and those gladrags, that I had to sweat so hard to buy her

Now have you not been taking your tablets again?

Comment

...and now this week says she cant make it because its her birthday and she wants to go out for the day instead. WTF! I'll try that next time client wants an urgent roll-out of something and see how long I last.
              A proper contractor is in charge of when they work.
              Whilst the OP frequently gets pushed around by clientco like a disguised permie

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                A proper contractor is in charge of when they work.
                Whilst the OP frequently gets pushed around by clientco like a disguised permie
                Perhaps cleaner was just trying to ensure that I didnt have any direction and control over her then.... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                  wooosh!

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                    I presume he's alluding to

Handbags and Gladrags - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I only knew the stereophonics version, I had no idea it was a cover.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      I presume he's alluding to

Handbags and Gladrags - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I only knew the stereophonics version, I had no idea it was a cover.
                      Didn't know about the Chris Farlowe version thanks, still prefer Rod Stewart's version.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X