• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bobs with Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Strange as it may seem, some people have dual nationality. If memory serves me correctly, the SC clearance process asks the question about dual nationality and whether you hold one or intend on applying for one.

A foreign national is allowed to hold SC clearence, but are not allowed to access information that is classed / deemed as UK Eyes Only. So if the foreign national is seeing information that is UKEO, then action needs to be taken, but it is unlikely that someone on the inside will grass.
    Cheers for clearing that up.

However I was security cleared and worked for MOD once. I work at Fort Halstead modelling russian tanks. The main threat was Russian T62 about which we knew a bit but not full details. One day we got word there were new photos and I was invited to Chobham to see them to add detail to the computer models. Taken to a room, blinds down (in case of satellites). Photos out. They had clearly been taken in some sort of tank yard in middle of night. It was not clear if we had sent someone in or we had a mole. I asked where they came from and got a dirty look. I started sketching. Turned a photo over. It said restricted!

So I say "why is this restricted. surely it should be top secret or summat". The reply "The Russians know all our top secret stuff. So we mark it restricted and keep it in a cupboard where it is safe".

And that is a true story.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Bollocks.

Officially you don't know why clearance is refused.
      This was for a police project.

They didn't specify the exact incident but they did allude to the fact it was some misdemeanor in his youth.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Cheers for clearing that up.

However I was security cleared and worked for MOD once. I work at Fort Halstead modelling russian tanks. The main threat was Russian T62 about which we knew a bit but not full details. One day we got word there were new photos and I was invited to Chobham to see them to add detail to the computer models. Taken to a room, blinds down (in case of satellites). Photos out. They had clearly been taken in some sort of tank yard in middle of night. It was not clear if we had sent someone in or we had a mole. I asked where they came from and got a dirty look. I started sketching. Turned a photo over. It said restricted!

So I say "why is this restricted. surely it should be top secret or summat". The reply "The Russians know all our top secret stuff. So we mark it restricted and keep it in a cupboard where it is safe".

And that is a true story.
        A) The whole idea of being SC cleared and working secret projects is that you are trusted NOT to divulge SECRET information. You fail. Maybe they are getting Bobs in as they don't have a habit of divulging information on public forums.

B) I don't know why I am pointing A) out as this story is utter bulltulip

C) Just leaves me to say 'Rory Rory tell us a story'

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
          This was for a police project.

They didn't specify the exact incident but they did allude to the fact it was some misdemeanor in his youth.
          A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.... and you are very dangerous!!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            The requirements for Bobs getting SC in the UK is lower. They need to produce documents certifying that they are good citizens and have a clean police record in India. Considering that a third of new police applicants in India have forged driving licences; I would not trust a Bob
            There's also a three or five year UK residency requirement...

@pacharan - if you're really worried about this, or your mate is, and you have some proper evidence of it, write to the relevant Cabinet Office department at [email protected] and ask their opinion. But be prepared not to get a quick reply and be very sure your facts are straight.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Surely it is right to ask the question about the right for any non British person to work in defence?

In fact I am amazed that anyone who is not a british passport holder can get SC.
              I'm a British passport holder but I can't get SC because I'm not resident, got offered contracts in Portsmouth and Cardiff but was turned down because of that fact.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                What does that make me, being an British born Indian? I have issues with Indians coming into this country and taking jobs that can easily be done by British Nationals, even at SC & DV Clearance levels.

Its a perfectly valid and debatable issue here on CUK and on a country wide jobs wise. However, looking at the OP, the thread was created by that muppet Pacharan just to incite some hatred and gain rep points. His strategy is to generate threads that pander to the issues that CUK posters hate passionately. Neg rep has been duly issued to him now.

HTH
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  There's also a three or five year UK residency requirement...
                  That's what I was told when I had been in the country less than 5 years. That to get SC one needs to have been a resident in the UK at least 5 years.
                  So the fact that the fresh off the boat bobs got full SC is surprising (and worrying).

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Its a perfectly valid and debatable issue here on CUK and on a country wide jobs wise. However, looking at the OP, the thread was created by that muppet Pacharan just to incite some hatred and gain rep points. His strategy is to generate threads that pander to the issues that CUK posters hate passionately. Neg rep has been duly issued to him now.

HTH
                    I admit that I don't know much about the OP, so can't really take a view on whether the OP is a racist or not. But I will keep an eye on what the OP says from now on to see whether it is consistent with what you are saying. But I did take some offence to the BNP reference who I deplore with an absolute passion, but at the same time have an issue with overseas IT bods coming into this country on the cheap and taking on jobs that can be done by home grown talent.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
                      That's what I was told when I had been in the country less than 5 years. That to get SC one needs to have been a resident in the UK at least 5 years.
                      So the fact that the fresh off the boat bobs got full SC is surprising (and worrying).
                      I doubt that they would have full SC Clearance unless they have British / UK passports, as without this they will not be able to see UK Eyes Only / Country sensitive (i.e. information relating to the SC Holders Home country) information. If they don't have UK passports, they would have a restriction on their clearance. If that isn't the case in this instance, and you have proof, I would take it up with the DVA (or whoever does the clearance these days).
                      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                      X