• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Telegraph is 3.5 years too late

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use maps, much nicer, and I think SatNav erodes spatial awareness, geographically speaking.

I know of a TA officer who used Happy Eater Maps to guide a group to a destination in Denmark as he'd left all their maps behind.

More information

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Google is 13 years too late. Audi and Daimler Chrysler paid Nokia to develop a real-time telematics system in 1999.
      Then google would be 9 years too late as NF posted in 2008.

Not all of us can afford an R8 you know. How are you getting on with swapping it for a people carrier.....

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
        I use maps, much nicer, and I think SatNav erodes spatial awareness, geographically speaking.

I know of a TA officer who used Happy Eater Maps to guide a group to a destination in Denmark as he'd left all their maps behind.

More information
        I like SatNav - but I dont trust it. e.g. when visiting Churchy the other week it made the journey dead easy. I intend to make sure my kids can read maps though. And you are totally right about spatial awareness - in the same way that calculators can make one a bit fick.

Lots if satnav stories about people ending up at the wrong end of the country after trusting them blindly....

Comment

I have moved to the iPhone from Android what's the best Sat Nav app? TomTom?

Comment

Yet another example of Google's predatory monopolistic behavior - giving this stuff away for free to bankrupt companies who build up the tech over years and subsidise it with ever increasing ad rates.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Yet another example of Google's predatory monopolistic behavior - giving this stuff away for free to bankrupt companies who build up the tech over years and subsidise it with ever increasing ad rates.
              Do you have something against google or summat?

Comment

I already get free traffic data on my Tom Tom
                Pah! I was getting live traffic on my little O2 gadget about 10 years ago. AND it only cost me £2.40 in The Red Cross charity shop.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Do you have something against google or summat?
                  Ska a Silly Question
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Lots if satnav stories about people ending up at the wrong end of the country after trusting them blindly....
                    Maps can be just as good for that. Back in the Eighties a friend of mine was in Hinckley, Leicestershire, when a van driver stopped and asked "Do you know where the power station is?"

"What, Hinkley Point power station?"

*checks delivery note* "Yeah."

"Yes, I know where that is; it's in Somerset."

Cue much effing and blinding from the van driver who'd picked the wrong Hinckley in the index of his road atlas

Comment

I love maps, I often buy them as souveniers.

Satnav is useful sometimes if you are going somewhere you've never been and are in a hurry, i've had it in hire cars but i don't have one myself. I prefer to plan a route beforehand, or just get into the car and drive. After a bit of practice I can find my way across most of western europe unaided e.g. london to munich or zurich, with no need for a map.

I find walking around getting lost a good way to discover a city as well, though i do tend to have google or a touristy map as a backup.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X