• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is is worth upgrading from XP to Window 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

However he does have a point if the OP is a contractor who needs some level of compatibility with client corps.

That's one of the reasons why I don't use linux or a Mac - No client I've ever been at in the last 20 years has required me to use them, it's nearly all been MS/Windows/Office/PC.
    Funnily enough that was exactly my motivation for choosing a Mac in the first place. I hated the PC at work so much that I didn't want that experience in my leisure time too. I was working at a bank at the time, and contractors didn't get access from home, so compatibility wasn't a concern.

Although there was dear old VMS in a gig in Germany, and OS2 when I worked in Scotland. That's foreigners for you.
    Dear old VMS. Excellent documentation and reliability. Poor marketing meant the contracting market shrivelled and it was time to move on.

Hang on, was OS2 ever run on a Mac? I can't remember what the hardware was.
    Dunno. I ran it on a 486 back in the mid nineties, by which time it was called Warp.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

just checking out the prospect of extra RAm now that I'll be runnign 64 bit OS... 16Gb of RAM (2 x 8Gb) at around £125 !! ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        just checking out the prospect of extra RAm now that I'll be runnign 64 bit OS... 16Gb of RAM (2 x 8Gb) at around £125 !! ouch.
        What do you mean "ouch"?

Comment

Cheap price, I remember time when 16 MB was worth more than that ...

Comment

Damnit just realised my motherboard will only hold 4 x 1Gb RAM! (according to the Crucial scanner)... might need to get a new motherboard methinks

EDIT: was wrong, it'll hold 4 x 2Gb, so it'll be OK................................
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 8 March 2012, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              What do you mean "ouch"?
              yeah good point, it's only a few day's work.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Cheap price, I remember time when 16 MB was worth more than that ...
                16 MB, luxury lad etc...
                I paid £99 for a 1 MB upgrade board for my IBM PS/2, that was a serious upgrade then too

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
                  16 MB, luxury lad etc...
                  I paid £99 for a 1 MB upgrade board for my IBM PS/2, that was a serious upgrade then too
                  WHS

PCs are well cheap in a post-PC world

EMS memory addressing was

Makes one appreciate proper 64-bit mode

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    WHS

PCs are well cheap in a post-PC world

EMS memory addressing was

Makes one appreciate proper 64-bit mode
                    In my new role I get the latest hardware for free from Intel...

Comment

Count yourself lucky. For the PC I bought 2 years ago, I was looking at twice that price to upgrade from 2 GB to 8 GB. I settled for an upgrade to 4 GB instead, which only came to 30 quid.

I remember AtW cringing at the time about the cost of 8GB cards, if you could find 'em.
                      Last edited by Sysman; 9 March 2012, 14:45.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X