• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Is is worth upgrading from XP to Window 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Yeah I like indexing apart from on dev/code folders. Screws things up.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

    Comment


      #32
      OK great. Just ordered Office Pro 2010 and Windows 7 Pro, for the princely sum of £70. Lovely.

      Now looking at Microsoft Expression 4... just for fun, at £14 it might teach me something new.

      Comment


        #33
        OS/2 WARP

        Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Wrong, that was OS/2 along with IBM in the early days.

        Hth.
        Did OS/2 run on a standard 286/386 back then? I vaguely remember my uni mate telling me he was stuck with DOS 'cause os-2 warp wouldn't run on his pc.

        Edit: actually it was an Olivetti pc clone. Dunno if it makes a difference.
        Last edited by petergriffin; 8 March 2012, 13:38. Reason: spoiling
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
          Did OS/2 run on a standard 286/386 back then? I vaguely remember my uni mate telling me he was stuck with DOS 'cause os-2 warp wouldn't run on his pc.
          Erm by the time Warp was released Microsoft and IBM had parted ways on OS/2

          I'm talking about versions 1.x (286/386) MS OS/2 Patents | OS/2 Museum

          I was contracting to IBM working on OS/2 in 1986...

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            I like the file indexing, saves me having to be organised as I can find anything almost instantly
            Plus the indexing updates seem to run when the laptop isn't being used so it never impacts on normal use
            It's supposed to speed up file search and access, but all the rest of the time it slows down the machine while it constantly does whatever it does. Turning it off made a difference to my laptop performance and I don't miss the indexing itself.

            Granted you might not notice much with a feck-off fast machine with loads of resources etc, but I wouldn't know. Some techies advised me to turn it off.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              It's supposed to speed up file search and access, but all the rest of the time it slows down the machine while it constantly does whatever it does. Turning it off made a difference to my laptop performance and I don't miss the indexing itself.

              Granted you might not notice much with a feck-off fast machine with loads of resources etc, but I wouldn't know. Some techies advised me to turn it off.
              I did have that problem on XP

              I'm running windows 7 on an oldish laptop, I notice as soon as anything starts eating my resources!
              Coffee's for closers

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                Yes, Plus XP is no longer supported (or won't be soon, not sure on dates) so no more patches or fixes
                April 8, 2014 is the desupport date for XP on the latest service pack.

                Hardly imminent.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  - Photoshop
                  - Quark Xpress (or whatever they use these days)
                  - Matlab
                  - The majority of scientific software

                  Not to mention properly supporting MSOffice files... it STILL can't do proper formatting AFAIK, since people using it mention my .docx files don't display lists and things properly.

                  And "advanced gaming" is perhaps THE thing which has spurred more advance in PC technology than any other, so saying "Linux can do everything except advanced gaming" is a pretty poor argument in its own right.
                  With a Linux only solution you are also up against the likes of Adobe who dropped Linux support for Air. Yes you can survive at the moment with their discontinued Air for Linux version, but grab it while you can, and be aware that if Adobe add new features which app developers start using you might come unstuck.

                  It's best to have both Windows and Linux around, and use each according to needs / what you find most productive, in my humble opinion.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Erm by the time Warp was released Microsoft and IBM had parted ways on OS/2

                    I'm talking about versions 1.x (286/386) MS OS/2 Patents | OS/2 Museum

                    I was contracting to IBM working on OS/2 in 1986...
                    I tried Warp out in 1995 when IBM was dishing out free/evaluation copies to all and sundry. It worked nicely, but it didn't take off. I think part of that was the old fashioned look it had in comparison with Win95 - the default colours were the sort of drab that I had come to expect on DOS.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      April 8, 2014 is the desupport date for XP on the latest service pack.

                      Hardly imminent.
                      But that is pretty imminent for a large corp who needs to plan an upgrade.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X