• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is is worth upgrading from XP to Window 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is is worth upgrading from XP to Window 7?

I'm going to buy Office 2010 from Software4Students (for the kids innit) and thought I might go for Windows 7 too... but is it worth upgrading from XP?

Yes, Plus XP is no longer supported (or won't be soon, not sure on dates) so no more patches or fixes

Comment

Yes definitely. Windows 7 is the operating system Vista should have been.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Duh stupid me I meant that I have Vista now and should I upgrade to 7. Looks like the answer is still yes then.

Is Window7 Pro OK?

And should I get 32bit or 64bit?

Comment

I thought you guys were on Windows 8 now?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Office 2010 is a pile of tulip

Win 7 is OK and useable
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Duh stupid me I meant that I have Vista now and should I upgrade to 7. Looks like the answer is still yes then.

Is Window7 Pro OK?

And should I get 32bit or 64bit?
              I've gone for Win 7 Pro 64bit on my new-build PC. Very happy with it.

Make sure you've plenty of RAM. I'd recommend 8GB or more. A multi-core processor would be ideal too. At least 6 cores...

Comment

Using office 2011 here - no complaints.

2G Ram Duo-core 2 machine, 6 year old machine runs fine.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Using office 2011 here - no complaints.
                  2G Ram Duo-core 2 machine, 6 year old machine runs fine.
                  We're talking about Windows, not an application.

No bragging rights for you today, off you trot, there's a good boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    We're talking about Windows, not an application.

No bragging rights for you today, off you trot, there's a good boy.
                    Parallels is an application, now so is windows. Windows is dying a slow and painful death.

Comment

Working...
                    X