• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Soup of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    This is disappointing. 2nd week of new contract and realised the ‘soup of the day’ is fixed by day of week. It’s mushroom again today as per last Thursday and yesterday Tomato as per last Wednesday. Why don’t caterers have more imagination?
    There's only so many kinds of soup. Just ask Heinz, who make all five of them, one for every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Not really, the soup I make uses mussels as the base not chicken stock, this gives it a much thicker consistency, plus I use less lemongrass and more coriander and green chilli. I also use proper fish and shellfish not the standard prawn, crab claw, green mussels and plastic squid you get normally.
      I use home made chicken stock for mine or fish stock depending on what's I've made lately.

Often I just put all the aromatics (lime leaves, coriander root, ginger, lemongrass) in with shallots, garlic, mushrooms, chillis and tomatoes and simmer for about a half hour and then turn it off.

You can then use that as a base for tom yung or a laksa.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Coconut based soups are good.

Comment

Ham & Lentil

Stock from your boiled ham (add extra water/stock cube if there's not enough), add finely chopped medium onion, finely grated large carrott, 1 cup of orange lentils, half a cup of yellow split peas and ground black pepper to taste.

Boil until the veg and pulses are soft then, mash with a spud masher while still on the heat until you get the texture & thickness you like.

Serve with crusty bread.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
          X