• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

50% tax rate is damaging the economy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yes I think taxes should be harmonised, this would prevent jackarses like that French guy and Labour to raise taxes at a whim.
    Why not business profits too? And whilst we are at it why not pay everyone the same no matter what they do?

There you are a nice flat playing field - go fill your boots.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Why not business profits too?
      Yes Corp Tax should be harmonised also with small variations allowed for local countries, just like VAT but lower range of variations.

Comment

I take it you have never built or run a business.
        What is wrong with spreading the wealth? Why is that a bad thing when growing or running a business? Remember these 500 guys have said they resent having to pay more tax.
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          What is wrong with spreading the wealth? Why is that a bad thing when growing or running a business? Remember these 500 guys have said they resent having to pay more tax.
          One doesnt go into business to "spread one's wealth". There comes a point when the incentive to build a business simply disappears. I know that if I were drawing more than £150k out of my business I would look at ways of avoiding this tax rather than pay myself this money.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Yes Corp Tax should be harmonised also with small variations allowed for local countries, just like VAT but lower range of variations.
            And income tax too? Council tax?

Comment

One doesnt go into business to "spread one's wealth". There comes a point when the incentive to build a business simply disappears. I know that if I were drawing more than £150k out of my business I would look at ways of avoiding this tax rather than pay myself this money.
              I am not suggesting that is a reason to start a business. You point out that you would look at ways of avoiding paying this tax rather than pay yourself. Surely increasing your employees income or taking on another is one way of doing that? We regularly hear business leaders telling us about top salaries and bonuses attracting the best people. Is the same not true at lower levels? By paying a little more you would incentivise your work force and attract/keep the best able.
              Just saying like.

Comment

What is wrong with spreading the wealth?
                Everything if it stops growth of wealth and job creation. People with the money can invest them anywhere now very quickly - Asia is booming and UK isn't exactly very attractive investment target from returns point of view in the first place, having higher taxes only makes things worse.

50% tax won't generate much money anyway because when rich people finally decide to go for serious tax avoidance they won't be doing it to get rates down to 40%, but instead to near 0% with 10% paid to some "scheme provider".

Comment

And income tax too? Council tax?
                  Certainly income tax, council tax is local matter but councils should not really be collecting taxes.

Comment

I am not suggesting that is a reason to start a business. You point out that you would look at ways of avoiding paying this tax rather than pay yourself. Surely increasing your employees income or taking on another is one way of doing that? We regularly hear business leaders telling us about top salaries and bonuses attracting the best people. Is the same not true at lower levels? By paying a little more you would incentivise your work force and attract/keep the best able.
                    Why on Earth should I pay employees more? I am paying them top rates anyway. I am running a business not a charity.

Comment

Why on Earth should I pay employees more? I am paying them top rates anyway. I am running a business not a charity.
                      So you dont think bank bonuses are valid? With that attitude to staff I am sure you are regarded as a great company to work for and get the best out of your staff.
                      Just saying like.

Comment

Working...
                      X