• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

50% tax rate is damaging the economy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They could always move to France: BBC News - French election: Hollande wants 75% tax on top earners
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Why should I pay best part of 5000 on my 25K earnings when these people only pay 400,000 on their million?

And they use private health leaving wasted empty beds in the NHS.

And they send their kids to private school leaving empty places in state school classes.

Squeeze 'em 'til the pips squeak I say. It's only fair. If they want to go abroad let 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        You are quite right of course that vested interests are prevailing here. It does'nt bother me as an employer because I dont pay tax at that rate even if I earn that amount of money and nor do/would you.
        If you take 100k from your company through divs and a small salary, don't you still run into the 50% barrier in just the same way as you do when you take divs over the upper threshold? We avoid paying as much tax in total and can pull some tricks but if you earn enough and don't leave it in the company account - surely you end up paying it?
        Say a contractor brings in £160k in a year, that's about £125k after CT... would they hit the 50% limit?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'd sign that letter.

Comment

Personally I would love to be getting a 2 million pound tax bill.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Say a contractor brings in £160k in a year, that's about £125k after CT... would they hit the 50% limit?
              If the company's profit was £160K, this would be £128K after corporation tax at 20%.

Assuming that the director had paid himself a tax efficient salary of £7,072 and declared all the post-tax profit as dividends, then his gross income would be £149,294!

(128K net dividend equals £142,222 as a gross dividend)

Assuming he had no other income, he would just avoid the 50%rate.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                It never seems to occur to them to spread the wealth either. Why not reduce their own income by paying their staff more, thus increasing staff loyalty?
                I take it you have never built or run a business.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  According to AtW we should harmonise our taxes so there wont be any point.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    According to AtW we should harmonise our taxes so there wont be any point.
                    Yes I think taxes should be harmonised, this would prevent jackarses like that French guy and Labour to raise taxes at a whim.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                      It never seems to occur to them to spread the wealth either. Why not reduce their own income by paying their staff more, thus increasing staff loyalty?
                      Or alternatively why simply not bother starting a business and just stick with your job?

Comment

Working...
                      X