• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The new IR35 regime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm saying there's not any need for the insult, i thought we were trying to have an intelligent debate.

I said phase out, so people who have pensions will still get theirs.
    People who don't have pensions will do it privately.
    And people who are half way through can be offered some kind of compromise. Maybe they get a payout and can do the rest themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      No for each 1% you want to lop off you need to knock £5.2bn off the budget (as that is £240bn/46(%)). So cancel HS2 and you can have 39.5% for a year then its back to 46%
      Good point. **** knows what I was thinking there, something along the lines of "that looked painful, why has Huntelaar got a load of grass in his mouth"
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
        FTFY
        Originally posted by Robinho View Post
        Well the Falklands needs marines and a carrier for defense i'd say so we're ok there.

I'd keep nukes + subs, a bit of the RAF and 2 or 3 carriers for the islands. But the main emphasis should be on defending what we have and not attacking middle eastern countries. The yanks can knock themselves out with that one.
        We don't need carriers. We can defend the FI from Mount Pleasant Airport. The Argies have nothing to threaten us with, but even if they did capture the islands there is a credible theory that we could retake them with long range missiles against Mount Pleasant and the use special forces.

I'm more thinking about all the other British Overseas Territories: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands etc. I'm not sure that all of these places would be as patriotic as the Falkland Islands. Give them a choice of becoming fully integrated into the UK (along with a defense guarantee) or cast them adrift.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Well phase out old age pensions, that's 92 billion.
          Cut out Tertiary education, another 12 billion.
          Family and children welfare can go, another 19.7 billion
          Railways at 5.9 bill can go, costs to be passed on to the rail companies
          I'm sure 1/3 of "general government" can go, another 4 billion.
          Agriculture, forestry, fishing an 5 billion

That's all i can be bothere with for now, that site is dead slow.

But we have 138 billion.

How am i doing?
          Well, once you cancel the railways and tertiary education you can expect the overall tax take to start declining as the economy slides downhill, so by the time you realise all of the savings on pensions it won't matter what you set the tax rate to because nobody will have a job.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

That would be the benefit of the carrier though. We can just send it to the islands that needs helping. Then we don't need a big local presence.

Comment

I'm saying there's not any need for the insult, i thought we were trying to have an intelligent debate.

I said phase out, so people who have pensions will still get theirs.
              People who don't have pensions will do it privately.
              And people who are half way through can be offered some kind of compromise. Maybe they get a payout and can do the rest themselves.
              That payout worked really well for those who opted out of their public sector pension schemes. Also how would get the cash to give people that payout. Would you increase that flat rate tax?
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Well, once you cancel the railways and tertiary education you can expect the overall tax take to start declining as the economy slides downhill, so by the time you realise all of the savings on pensions it won't matter what you set the tax rate to because nobody will have a job.
                Nonsense.

Companies will be walking over broken glass to move to this low tax country.

Private rail companies will cover the costs of rail transport, not the tax payer. This means that the people who actually use the trains are paying for it, but they will have more money in their pockets because they'll be paying less tax.

Likewise, people who benefit from tertiary education can pay for it.

The idea is that if things reflect the true cost or operation people decide rationally if it is worthwhile doing or not and not based on somebody else footing the bill.

Comment

I've forgotten the cardinal rule for online discussions

So continue discussing your crackpot tax scheme but I'm off to do more interesting things.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

people who have pensions will still get theirs.
                    Where do you think most of that £92 billion is going?

Comment

So continue discussing your crackpot tax scheme but I'm off to do more interesting things.
                      There are plenty of very respected economists who have the same principles as myself.

Milton Friedman would be a good place to start.

I shall quote the good woman... "if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left"
                      Last edited by Robinho; 29 February 2012, 22:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X