• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long did you think you'd contract for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

until my mortgages are paid for, which initially was about 10 years.
    Trouble is there is always something to do or buy that costs lots of money......so probably 15 years now
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
      until my mortgages are paid for, which initially was about 10 years.
      Trouble is there is always something to do or buy that costs lots of money......so probably 15 years now
      The idea is not to get used to the income, certainly if you have planned to use it to make your life easier in the future.

We've done some nice things with the extra income, but a lot of it has been invested or paid off the mortgage or built an extension (i.e. it's not lost that way either, it's added to the house value).

My plan was always to treat the contracting income as a special bonus period of my life, and fortunately it has lasted several years. It would be great if I got 10 years out of it but I can't because the tech I work in isn't in demand much these days. I guess I knew it would always be this way, hence why I planned to use this opportunity to make my life easier in the future... and I guess it will be.

I love using this product and if I could I would stay contracting for years longer!

Comment

Been doing it for 10 years but due to expensive schools, I'll have to work until I drop dead. I'll spend as much of that time as I can contracting and I'll go permie if not. Frankly, I don't like thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          The idea is not to get used to the income, certainly if you have planned to use it to make your life easier in the future.

We've done some nice things with the extra income, but a lot of it has been invested or paid off the mortgage or built an extension (i.e. it's not lost that way either, it's added to the house value).

My plan was always to treat the contracting income as a special bonus period of my life, and fortunately it has lasted several years. It would be great if I got 10 years out of it but I can't because the tech I work in isn't in demand much these days. I guess I knew it would always be this way, hence why I planned to use this opportunity to make my life easier in the future... and I guess it will be.

I love using this product and if I could I would stay contracting for years longer!
          yeah an extension is one of the things i've done last year. spent roughly 30k on it and it all helps get a better mortgage deal next time around
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

I always thought I would have retired by 2000.

Comment

It's beginning to sound like marriage!!! You meet a girl! Have a bit of fun but plan to do something else!!! And before you know it!!!!

I'm sticking with 5 years thanks. :-)

Comment

I'll be contracting till they prise a keyboard out of my cold, dead hands.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  I have no intention of ever being the employee of another entity again.

These days I'm getting pretty fed up with having to work at client sites, or even on client projects. Long-term aim is to make a decent living as an ISV, with maybe a bit of client work (done where I wish to do it) on the side.
                  +1 although I'm planning to have others do that client side stuff. Oh and the day to day support and improvement stuff.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I have no intention of ever being the employee of another entity again.

These days I'm getting pretty fed up with having to work at client sites, or even on client projects. Long-term aim is to make a decent living as an ISV, with maybe a bit of client work (done where I wish to do it) on the side.
                    I don't know if I'd ever take a permie job, but my aim is also to work for myself. I've always worked more as a freelancer than a contractor - of the 4-5 years since I left permiedom I've worked on a client site for only 6 months, which was also my only UK client.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'd like to keep going till I decide I've had enough and retire.

Plan b has been on hold for a few years, so hopefully I can pay off the mortgage and then start concentrating on plan b.

Would like to get to the stage that I'm not on client sites as much, but will have to see what the future holds
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X