• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wilmslow-esque whinge: Friends who don't understand our ways of working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    Also, FWIW, I agree with the OP that some of the little comments are annoying, usually from Permies rather than friends. I don't think any of my friends give a hoot what I earn, in the same way that I don't care what they earn.

My advice would be to replace the faulty friends (c:
    I did feel a little embarrassed when my brother in law turned up last week with his family. He's not the jealous type & we're quite open with each other but I know he saved three months to buy a 2nd hand mountain bike a while back and when he turned up I had three in the garage, brand new TV in the front room, IPad, Iphones, wireless printers in three rooms & a host of other toot. He spent ages playing with gadgets & stuff & to be fair never said a word, insisting he paid for the beers & food when he went out as they were guests.

Think I'll get him an IPad for his birthday. After all, it's only 1/2 a days wages.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Yes.

"It bugs me".

"It bugs my wife and me".

"It bugs me and my wife".
      So in this case "wife and me" form the object of the verb bug. I may have to concede this point.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        So you and Zeity are saying

"My wife and me" is correct?
        It's quite a simple rule - leave the other party out and see how the sentence sounds, if CM hadn't included the wife in his opening sentence it would have read

I know this has been discussed here before but it's now really starting to bug I.
        Which would have made no sense

Put it into another context - say

Me and the wife went shopping
        Leave out the wife and you get

Me went shopping
        Which even a 'tard should be able to see is cobblers

HTH

Comment

I tend not to discuss what I earn as I'd no doubt get the same reaction, my family is even worse in that they're always trying pry and get out of me what I earn and I hear the old comments I bet you're not short of a few bob on a regular basis.

I work hard for my money and it's nobodies business what I earn, like you said the nature of work is temporary and can change quite swiftly and there are of course a lot more other factors to take into consideration.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I did feel a little embarrassed when my brother in law turned up last week with his family. He's not the jealous type & we're quite open with each other but I know he saved three months to buy a 2nd hand mountain bike a while back and when he turned up I had three in the garage, brand new TV in the front room, IPad, Iphones, wireless printers in three rooms & a host of other toot. He spent ages playing with gadgets & stuff & to be fair never said a word, insisting he paid for the beers & food when he went out as they were guests.

Think I'll get him an IPad for his birthday. After all, it's only 1/2 a day's wages.
            Zeity?

Comment

Back this up please.
              actually the doughnut was uncalled for, so I can't...

I'll put it down to hunger (c:

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                I tend not to discuss what I earn as I'd no doubt get the same reaction, my family is even worse in that they're always trying pry and get out of me what I earn and I hear the old comments I bet you're not short of a few bob on a regular basis.

I work hard for my money and it's nobodies business what I earn, like you said the nature of work is temporary and can change quite swiftly and there are of course a lot more other factors to take into consideration.
                Zeity?

Comment

So in this case "wife and me" form the object of the verb bug. I may have to concede this point.
                  Unless you are a West Country yokel who actually uses the term "it bugs I".
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                    It's quite a simple rule - leave the other party out and see how the sentence sounds, if CM hadn't included the wife in his opening sentence it would have read

Which would have made no sense

Put it into another context - say

Leave out the wife and you get

Which even a 'tard should be able to see is cobblers

HTH
                    I already conceded the point. Which even a 'tard' should be able to see is unarguable.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Yes.

"It bugs me".

"It bugs my wife and me".

"It bugs me and my wife".
                      It would seem from this link that it is me in this instance.

On topic, I don't discuss rates with anyone that isn't directly involved in the process. My sponsoring manager, the guy in the VM dept, my agent.

Even my wife only gets a rare glimpse of the figures.
                      Last edited by Scrag Meister; 27 February 2012, 12:53.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X