• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest Leaked Climate Documents Scandal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Leaked Climate Documents Scandal

The Heartland Institute is a right-wing free-market think tank, whose activities include manufacturing doubt about the science of anthropogenic global warming and who produce, among other things the 'NIPCC' report, a 'NonGovernmental' response to the actual UN reports.

Someone has kindly shared their budget and strategy for 2012. This borders on satire, they are paying $100K for the development of a school curriculum that ...

shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain - two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science. We tentatively plan to pay Dr. Wojick $100,000 for 20 modules in 2012, with funding pledged by the Anonymous Donor.
    Denying climate change can be good for your finances ...

...At present we sponsor the NIPCC to undermine the official United Nation's IPCC reports and paid a team of writers $388,000 in 2011 to work on a series of editions of Climate Change Reconsidered...
    ...We have also pledged to help raise around $90,000 in 2012 for Anthony Watts to help him create a new website to track temperature station data. Finally, we will consider expanding these efforts further, or developing new ones, if funding can be obtained.
    And their commitment to 'freedom' apparently does not extend to freedom of speech ...

...Efforts at places such as Forbes are especially important now that they have begun to allow highprofile climate scientists (such as Gleick) to post warmist science essays that counter our own. This influential audience has usually been reliably anti-climate and it is important to keep opposing voices out...
    Heartland also slip some 'contrarian' scientists several thousand a month to carry on with the noisemaking. So the next time one of the regulars post up a link to the latest balony from WattsUpWithThat, remember that Watts is funded by an organisation who stifle dissent, oppose the teaching of science, and whose aim is to undermine science rather than promote it. Who knew?
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

That's funny nobody has tagged this thread YAWN yet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EricBartlett View Post
      That's funny nobody has tagged this thread YAWN yet!!!
      Ooops my bad!

Comment

Yeah - anonymous multimillionaires funding the suppression of science teaching. But no tits. So tedious.

Comment

"shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain - two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science. We tentatively plan to pay Dr. Wojick $100,000 for 20 modules in 2012, with funding pledged by the Anonymous Donor".

Sorry pj, but you're not having that one ... it was a misleading 'bold', and beneath you.

The sentence says that the fact that climate change is controversial and uncertain dissuades teachers from teaching science.

It does NOT say that the aim of the organisation's money is TO dissuade teachers.

Also, what is the remainder of the sentence after you cut it at 'keep opposing voices out'.... ??
          Last edited by KimberleyChris; 15 February 2012, 19:17.

Comment

Here is the scandalous context

Principals and teachers are heavily biased toward the alarmist perspective. To counter this we are considering launching an effort to develop alternative materials for K-12 classrooms. We are pursuing a proposal from Dr. David Wojick to produce a global warming curriculum for K-12 schools.His effort will focus on providing curriculum that shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain – two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science.
            Classic tactics borrowed from the Tobacco companies 'doubt is our product' campaign. The clear inference is that Heartland are using money from an anonymous millionaire to lessen the amount of science being taught. Go on, spin that.

… Efforts at places such as Forbes are especially important now that they have begun to allow highprofile climate scientists (such as Gleick) to post warmist science essays that counter our own. This influential audience has usually been reliably anti-climate and it is important to keep opposing voices out. Efforts might also include cultivating more neutral voices with big audiences (such as Revkin at DotEarth/NYTimes, who has a well-known antipathy for some of the more extreme AGW communicators such as Rornm, Trenberth, and Hansen) or Curry (who has become popular with our supporters).
            Oh, and here is how the Heartland spun the CRU mail hack

Looking at how past disclosures of fraud in the global warming debate have been dismissed or ignored by the mainstream media leads me to suspect they will try to sweep this, too, under the rug. But thanks to the Internet, millions of people will be able to read the emails themselves and make up their own minds. This incident, then, will not be forgotten. The journalists who attempt to spin it away and the politicians who try to ignore it will further damage their own credibility, and perhaps see their careers shortened as a consequence...
            Irony-Gate?

Comment

Heartland are now claiming that one of the document is a fabrication. Strange then, that Watts confirmed that the part describing his funding is genuine.....

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                Heartland are now claiming that one of the document is a fabrication. Strange then, that Watts confirmed that the part describing his funding is genuine.....
                Fabrication? Shocking...

I can't ever imagine anybody from the pro Global Warming lobby doing that, can you? :-)

Comment

I guess we'll never know the truth on that particular memo. There are plenty of confirmed facts in there - and the other documents - including the details of the school curriculum - are pretty damning - check them out....

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                    There are plenty of confirmed facts

Get the irony?
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X