• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Code review - hilarious code snippets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Next time, don't hire a Bob
    I've seen plenty of tulip over the years and none of it has been by an outsourced team.
    British developers are perfectly capable of writing horrendous code without any external help!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's not so much the technology, as the people.

Yes, Asp.Net gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself, but more often it's the programmer that is the problem (from a pure development point of view, from an overall project point of view, it's usually the business/customer/sales that make a cats tit of things with their deadlines and ludicrous expectations)

They may be useless, in which case they build things all wrong, make mistakes etc.

Or they may think they are smarter than they are and obfuscate things in the name of architecture.

It's kind of similar to the geek arguments you hear, eg. from a high level - Sql Server v Oracle, C# v Java. To lower level, which DI tool should we use, ORM v stored proc, which ORM tool etc etc

At the end of the day, unless there is some major issue that differentiates them (performance, cost, can't get the people for the tech etc) then the tech itself is largely irrelevant IMHO.

Just make sure you have good people.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        This is common, especially with programmers who came into development using Java and .NET where the runtime holds your hand and makes it easier for mediocre programmers to survive. If they had to code in C/C++ then they would have been weeded out the business early on.
        No they wouldn't. There's loads of bad C++ programmers, and loads of bad Java/.NET programmers who used to be C++ programmers.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          No they wouldn't. There's loads of bad C++ programmers, and loads of bad Java/.NET programmers who used to be C++ programmers.
          Yeah but a bad C/C++ program can do much more damage than a managed program. Can take down the whole system if you can't properly manage memory or work with pointers etc.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I find the ones who write java like it's C particularly annoying. Returning nulls all over the place instead of raising exceptions. Classes full of static methods that take the same 20 parameters half of which ought to be member variables.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I find the ones who write java like it's C particularly annoying. Returning nulls all over the place instead of raising exceptions. Classes full of static methods that take the same 20 parameters half of which ought to be member variables.
              Why would you raise an exception when that null could be a perfectly valid result?
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This thread is descending into vaguely intelligent debate. Please desist at once.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Why would you raise an exception when that null could be a perfectly valid result?
                  If it's a valid result then fair enough but if you can't initialize an object properly when the constructor is called throw an exception in the constructor. Don't return normally then expect people to call isValid() on your object, check the result of every method invocation to see if it's null, or even worse just throw unchecked exceptions all over the shop because the object was never initialised properly.

Especially don't do the latter two when it's even more of your tulipty code that is calling methods on the improperly constructed object.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Defeating bugs requires magic as much as much as logic. Currently trying to add a program download with country check option to my webpage in PHP and jscript. There is a test line in the latter that says

window.alert("fart");

Every time I try and remove this line it all stops working.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      If it's a valid result then fair enough but if you can't initialize an object properly when the constructor is called throw an exception in the constructor. Don't return normally then expect people to call isValid() on your object, check the result of every method invocation to see if it's null, or even worse just throw unchecked exceptions all over the shop because the object was never initialised properly.

Especially don't do the latter two when it's even more of your tulipty code that is calling methods on the improperly constructed object.
                      Sounds like a bad programmer rather than a problem of moving from C/C++ to Java
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X