• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can check out the proportion of costs actually going to the 'good cause' here.

The Charity Commission for England and Wales

So for Oxfam it's around 75%, which to me sounds like a reasonable figure.

'Trading to raise funds' seems to be the least profitable activity - not sure what that means - Charity shops?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
      You can check out the proportion of costs actually going to the 'good cause' here.

The Charity Commission for England and Wales

So for Oxfam it's around 75%, which to me sounds like a reasonable figure.

'Trading to raise funds' seems to be the least profitable activity - not sure what that means - Charity shops?
      Any kind of trading i.e. selling goods (assuming most charities don't sell services, although maybe some do). Charity shops, online, mail order, selling via volunteers, car boots etc.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Charity.

I don't like to talk about it.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Charity.

Don't be embarrassed. We all need a helping hand sometimes.

Comment

Charity.

Here you go. Have my spare change.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Charity.

Will we now see more Scots outside on Flag day?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                the host ripped him apart when he tried to get him to admit what he meant was 97% of the DECLARED PROFIT, not the income, most of that went on Mercs, jollies, bonuses and shameless guilt advertising
                And did they have any facts for that, or did they make the leap from the truth that they only give their profit (which is so obvious it shouldn't need saying) purely fueled by cynicism? i.e. were they making BS claims on an equal level as the charity bod?

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Anyone who is paid to raise money for a charity kinda defeats the idea in my opinion
                A large charity needs skilled experts to do things like manage the accounts, which can be very complex.

A small charity can work on zero costs, the same way a contractor can develop a plan B for £0. But that doesn't scale.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Did a year with one of the big charridees. Shocking place, all the senior managers drove company BMW 5s, and we wasted at least 30Mil of a 70 mil IT project I worked on. I will never give these idiots a penny of my cash.
                  World's Best Martini

Comment

Although close family members died of it, I stopped giving to Cancer Research when I found out just how much of their budget was spent on anti-smoking propoganda posters.

As though we all don't know the risks already, and each with a great big logo, to raise their public profile.

Comment

Some charities are very good. My sister-in-law works for Royal Blind Society Home Page. - very very low fund raising costbase. There are a couple of others we support too.

Comment

Working...
                      X