• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Charities

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Charities"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's probably like regular business. Some work hard to generate profit for their shareholders, others are a corrupt shambles.

If you want to give but don't like "corporate charity" then find a local care home or a church which does work in the community or a youth centre or a food bank or similar... feed into your local area.
    There are thousands of people scraping by on £10k a year, dedicated to trying to keep youths off the street by organising a local football team or whatever... they will really use every penny.
    Must admit I was surprised by the figures on the charity commission website - hundreds of millions - makes the sort of funds raised by children in need or sports relief look like pin money. You're right in that a tiny fraction of that amount would make a phenomenal difference in so many communitites.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Some charities are very good. My sister-in-law works for Royal Blind Society Home Page. - very very low fund raising costbase. There are a couple of others we support too.
    It's probably like regular business. Some work hard to generate profit for their shareholders, others are a corrupt shambles.

If you want to give but don't like "corporate charity" then find a local care home or a church which does work in the community or a youth centre or a food bank or similar... feed into your local area.
    There are thousands of people scraping by on £10k a year, dedicated to trying to keep youths off the street by organising a local football team or whatever... they will really use every penny.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    with leaving presents
    for permy back slapping.

I thought this was a contractors forum

Next.
    Last edited by oscarose; 29 January 2012, 22:00.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    When I was in the civil service, they used to do that with leaving collections. A couple of people would go into town to buy a present. Parking, petrol and a boozy lunch were legitimate expenses to be deducted from the collected fund. Shocking.
    The trick with leaving presents is to write on the envelope the amount each person donates, eg £10 or so each, hand the envelope to the management and ask them to donate and then and then give the money back to the co-workers. Buy the gift with only what management gave.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Had some mates at Uni who one night got dressed up in fancy dress, got a bucket, put a load of coins in it and
    headed out on the town for comic relief or some such thing at the time. First pub they ask and do a rattle, round thanking everyone. Next pub they turned up didn't rattle it but bought themselves a beer from the bucket. They did this for the whole night , got wasted before spending the remainder on a curry, taxi home and beers from the
    offy. Disgraceful.
    When I was in the civil service, they used to do that with leaving collections. A couple of people would go into town to buy a present. Parking, petrol and a boozy lunch were legitimate expenses to be deducted from the collected fund. Shocking.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Some years ago I did a stint at a charity, most of the money was raised from gifts, the money was invested and the profits used for the charity. Collecting from sponsored events and street collections were just PR stunts. They used to organise collection days where members of staff would rattle tines. It would involve staff staying away overnight and coming back next day. The hotel bill would be around £200, plus travel £60 plus meals etc. They normally raised about £100 per person.
    Had some mates at Uni who one night got dressed up in fancy dress, got a bucket, put a load of coins in it and
    headed out on the town for comic relief or some such thing at the time. First pub they ask and do a rattle, round thanking everyone. Next pub they turned up didn't rattle it but bought themselves a beer from the bucket. They did this for the whole night , got wasted before spending the remainder on a curry, taxi home and beers from the
    offy. Disgraceful.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I am presently planning a Charity Trek which Im hoping that CUK members will give to. Knowing what a generous lot contractors are I'm sure you'll be giving.

Effectively it's going to be called Chasing The Aurora. I need to be able to raise the money for a train fair to the Yorkshire Moors an the hire of a pushbike where I then plan to cycle around at night with a camera and stay at inexpensive 5 star hotels and eat in cheap Michelin star restaurants.

I've done some calculations and it's going to cost around
    £10k. Once I've raised the necessary fees anything after that is going to go to a charity of some kind.

Please give generously.
    Some years ago I did a stint at a charity, most of the money was raised from gifts, the money was invested and the profits used for the charity. Collecting from sponsored events and street collections were just PR stunts. They used to organise collection days where members of staff would rattle tines. It would involve staff staying away overnight and coming back next day. The hotel bill would be around £200, plus travel £60 plus meals etc. They normally raised about £100 per person.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I am presently planning a Charity Trek which Im hoping that CUK members will give to. Knowing what a generous lot contractors are I'm sure you'll be giving.

Effectively it's going to be called Chasing The Aurora. I need to be able to raise the money for a train fair to the Yorkshire Moors an the hire of a pushbike where I then plan to cycle around at night with a camera and stay at inexpensive 5 star hotels and eat in cheap Michelin star restaurants.

I've done some calculations and it's going to cost around
    £10k. Once I've raised the necessary fees anything after that is going to go to a charity of some kind.

Please give generously.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Some charities are very good. My sister-in-law works for Royal Blind Society Home Page. - very very low fund raising costbase. There are a couple of others we support too.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Although close family members died of it, I stopped giving to Cancer Research when I found out just how much of their budget was spent on anti-smoking propoganda posters.

As though we all don't know the risks already, and each with a great big logo, to raise their public profile.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Did a year with one of the big charridees. Shocking place, all the senior managers drove company BMW 5s, and we wasted at least 30Mil of a 70 mil IT project I worked on. I will never give these idiots a penny of my cash.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    the host ripped him apart when he tried to get him to admit what he meant was 97% of the DECLARED PROFIT, not the income, most of that went on Mercs, jollies, bonuses and shameless guilt advertising
    And did they have any facts for that, or did they make the leap from the truth that they only give their profit (which is so obvious it shouldn't need saying) purely fueled by cynicism? i.e. were they making BS claims on an equal level as the charity bod?

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Anyone who is paid to raise money for a charity kinda defeats the idea in my opinion
    A large charity needs skilled experts to do things like manage the accounts, which can be very complex.

A small charity can work on zero costs, the same way a contractor can develop a plan B for £0. But that doesn't scale.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Charity.

I don't like to talk about it.
    Will we now see more Scots outside on Flag day?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Charity.

Here you go. Have my spare change.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Charity.

Don't be embarrassed. We all need a helping hand sometimes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X