• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you think the UK is not part of Europe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    The crisis has not really affected me - I contract wthout breaks I don't want myself and my wife has found a job a while ago.

I have been "studying" the crisis a bit some time ago, and have reached what I feel is an adequate expanation for its origin and I have come to the conclusion that whatever politicians do has not much effect.

A crisis like this takes time to ride out as imbalances are reshuffled and people start feeling more confident in the future.

I just hope that we are already half way through our "lost decade" and that it does not become lost decades.

I believe a lot of people are suffering from job loss and lack of ability to move homes in required but they have either forgottn eor not experienced the benefits of rthe preceeding BOOM times. And I fel sorry for them.
    I certainly see some bright spots here in NL. While the proles are panicking and switching their allegiances back and forth from extreme right to extreme left, back again and back round again and the politicians are shouting 'panic', business owners are quietly going about business; many see the current economic downtime as an opportunity to invest at low cost, there are lots of babyboom owned businesses coming on the market for sale (as the babyboomers retire) and quite a lot of ambitious young people, particularly among the so called 'ethnic minorities' looking to buy into those businesses; there are loads of opportunities here for those who'll look a bit further than job ads and actually use some initiative. So I'm optimistic and actively looking, but looking with a critical eye, for a buy-in deal in a decent business.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      So Mr. Soerensen, as you started the thread, what have you to say about the completely different philosophical traditions in England (and I mean England) and the principial countries of the continent: France and Germany.
      I'll give you an example: Britain's historical lack of a written constitution and the tradition of "common law", basically a strong belief that top-down rule making doesn't work and best practice is to have things emerge organically.
      I believe that all this has nothing to do with the UK being part of the continent of Europe.

It might have all to do with, as you say, legal and philosophical traditions. But that is surely an entirely different matter.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

So Mr. Soerensen, as you started the thread, what have you to say about the completely different philosophical traditions in England (and I mean England) and the principial countries of the continent: France and Germany.
        I'll give you an example: Britain's historical lack of a written constitution and the tradition of "common law", basically a strong belief that top-down rule making doesn't work and best practice is to have things emerge organically.
        You're talking about the political traditions and the philosophical traditions. Some of us do read about that and know what you're telling us, but most people don't understand a bloody word of it anyway and don't go around with Bacon, Smith, Hume, Hobbes and so on in their heads, just as most people on this side of the water don't spend much time thinking about Kant or Descartes.

Yes, it's important, but not as important as you think.

Comment

I believe that all this has nothing to do with the UK being part of the continent of Europe.

It might have all to do with, as you say, legal and philosophical traditions. But that is surely an entirely different matter.
          So you believe physical proximity makes Britain a part of Europe, rather than beliefs and value systems?
          I completely disagree.
          There are many examples of peoples who are proximate yet completely different: Pakistanis and Indians e.g.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Pakistanis and Indians e.g.
            Their religious beliefs may be very different, but I'm not sure if their value systems are really all that different.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              You're talking about the political traditions and the philosophical traditions. Some of us do read about that and know what you're telling us, but most people don't understand a bloody word of it anyway and don't go around with Bacon, Smith, Hume, Hobbes and so on in their heads, just as most people on this side of the water don't spend much time thinking about Kant or Descartes.

Yes, it's important, but not as important as you think.
              Au contraire, I think it's the most important point. People may not know the origins of the differences but I beleive they are as I've explained.
              It accounts for the differences, and answers the OP's question.
              Last edited by sasguru; 17 January 2012, 11:04.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Their religious beliefs may be very different, but I'm not sure if their value systems are really all that different.
                Have you travelled there? They are completely different. Religions affect value systems in a huge way.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

So you believe physical proximity makes Britain a part of Europe, rather than beliefs and value systems?
                  I completely disagree.
                  There are many examples of peoples who are proximate yet completely different: Pakistanis and Indians e.g.
                  Geographically the UK is part of Europe. Politically it is part of Europe. You do have a point that socially and philosophically it is disparate from Europe.
                  I do not think that when a Brit says "in Europe" they are thinking in social or philosophical terms, they are just meaning "on the mainland".
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I completely disagree.
                    Yes, physical proximity makes the UK part of Europe.

What other continent you you suggest the UK belongs to?
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Please elaborate on the political entity of Europe. Do you mean the European Union. Different thing.
                      To the majority, that's exactly what they mean. Saying "it's called the E.U. not 'Europe'" is just splitting hairs.

The fact we ARE in the E.U. is more relevant.

Do E.U. members even have to be on the European continental plate?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X