• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SOPA - anyone GAS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read somewhere yesterday that it had been dropped, but I also came across a theory a few weeks ago that SOPA was just noise to take attention away from the Protect IP Act, which is apparently Not Good in its own way.
    Last edited by Sysman; 17 January 2012, 09:32.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

At face value, the White House's response to SOPA sounds like a win for opponents, but let's take a closer look The White House & SOPA: Reading Between the Lines

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        Interesting - I was reading this story from yesterday also: SOPA bins DNS blocking after White House wades in ? The Register

Wonder why it's not been more widely reported yet.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So if SOPA or any alternative they bring in has the power to take down any website and block or confiscate servers that host or link to 'illegal' material (quotes used as proof is not necessarily required up front), what happens when it's all hosted in the cloud?

Would be a shame if one dodgy site required the take down of the Amazon, Google, and Microsoft cloud network.

Though I imagine they would get immunity along with other corporate giants with plenty of money to influence the rules.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Google/Amazon/MS would agree to take down the sites so it wouldn't be needed.

Comment

In another twist (YouTube), the SOPA supporters provided the software used for illegal downloads

(Over enthusiastic Yank warning )

Comment

The worst thing about it was that it involved breaking the Internet - not just tampering, but serious breakage using techniques more commonly used by China's Great Firewall, and in countries such as Iran. And to add insult to injury, the politicians promoting the act not only admitted they didn't have the faintest understanding of the technical issues, they actually boasted of it and took pride in their ignorance

Dear Congress, It's No Longer OK To Not Know How The Internet Works | Motherboard

SOPA Debate Highlights Congress's Ignorance - Miller-McCune

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Wikipedia going down for a day in protest, random individuals turning off their sites too (big deal), etc.
                  I like this comment to the El Reg article:

Journalists

How the hell are any of Thursday's newspapers going to get content if professional, qualified, experienced Journalists can't paste copy from Wikipedia?!

Comment

Easy, they can write a big story about how Wikipedia is shut instead

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Easy, they can write a big story about how Wikipedia is shut instead
                      It might be interesting to see what they come up with in other stories.

Comment

Working...
                      X