• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    So the general consensus of General was correct? That's quite worrying.
    I'm scared, hold me
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Well done!

Have a or 3.
      Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Out of interest what did they mean by 'contractors with a certain mindset'?
        The secret martial art of 'Kan Do'
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nice one. Have a
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What so every single contractor they had in didnt meet their requirements? Or 'Kan Do 'attitude?

I would be slightly concerned that the clients attitude to work is slightly more raised than others. i.e. Expecting long hours etc.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              What so every single contractor they had in didnt meet their requirements? Or 'Kan Do 'attitude?

I would be slightly concerned that the clients attitude to work is slightly more raised than others. i.e. Expecting long hours etc.
              Only RH can confirm my point. But maybe it's one of these from an article by a hiring manager.

"I have interviewed dozens of IT contractors. Some I will hire before others. The following are the type of IT contractors I do not want.

1. The Scruff

It doesn’t take much to present oneself well at an interview. Even it is a dress down place contractors should show respect for their interview and their potential new company by making some kind of effort to impress.

When I see someone dressed casually at an interview I always think that they’re saying “You’ll have to fit in with me rather than the other way round”.

I won’t!

2. The Unprepared

When contractors join us I want them to prepare themselves well and do their homework. What gives me a signal that they are likely to be this kind of contractor is if they prepare before they come to the interview.

They should at least know what the company do before they arrive. This information is easy to get. They could ask their agency or they can get the information from the company website.

3. The Chancers

There are some people who arrive at the interview who obviously don’t know the skills that are required. Despite this they still try and bulltulip their way through the questions.

This is a total waste of my time. I presume that they were hoping that there would be no technical questions and that I would take their word for it.

The agencies that send them don’t impress me either.

4. The Techniquers

I don’t know who gives advice to people about the techniques that they should have at an interview. A very firm handshake may impress a girl from HR but if someone puts a death grip on my hand when shaking it, it just p*sses me off, firstly because it may hurt a little, secondly because I realise I am being techniqued. I’m going to give the contract to someone who can do the job.

We don’t have vacancies for people who can wring other people’s hands. We have no call for it.

5. The Bored

There are two ways that people show me that they are not interested in what they are being told about the company or the job. The first ones are those that actually look bored and show it.

The second are those that pay excessive attention, as they have been told that it shows interest. Some of them show it by never taking their eyes off you for a second.

Their eyes grow wider and wider as they force themselves to listen to what you are telling them. It’s quite spooky. You either have interest in the job and company or you don’t.

I want those who do!

6. The Beggars

I am sure that they have been told that it is a good technique at an interview. Either that or they are just desperate. I’ve had several of the ones who say things like “If you just give me this chance I’ll not let you down”.

One guy even said that he would work for a graduate’s salary rather than the salary of the Systems Manager that I was hiring for till he’d proved himself to me. I did hire him and, of course, I did give him the full salary, but he wasn’t worth even the graduate’s salary. I have never found that any of these type of guys ever turn out to be very good.

7. Those Unaware of Problems

Many places give technical interviews. I tend not to as those just off a course would be better at doing them than someone with several years’ experience, the reason being that all areas of the skill are covered by the course, whereas only a subset of those are used in practice.

What I find best is to ask interviewees what can go wrong and how they could fix it.

If you are hiring a Project Manager who knows all the latest Prince, ISO and CMM techniques, but who doesn’t know what could go wrong at the various stages of a project and what you can do to stop that happening or to fix it when it does happen, then you are going to have major problems on your project if you hire him or her – even of they can answer all the Prince questions.

8. Those with Longer Contracts

There is little point in taking references. It is against the law to give a bad reference, and most people will give them anyway, whether the person is any good or not. The person who is being interviewed can also pick who they get references from and I don’t know the people from Adam.

No, I much prefer to look at the lengths of their previous contracts. If they keep getting renewed then that is the best reference you can get from a previous employer.

If they have short contracts, and they seldom get renewed, you can say that previous employers are voting with their boots.

9. The Cushy Number Brigade

It doesn’t look good at an interview if contractors start enquiring if they can do some of their work from home, or whether they can do all of their hours in 4 days taking Friday off.

I’m not averse to some of the work being done from home as long as I can monitor that it is being done. Also, if someone lives a long way off and asks at the interview if they can come to some arrangement I don’t mind that either.

However, there are some that you know are just looking for an easy time and that doesn’t come across well at the interview.

10. The Tanned Porsche Driver

Perhaps this is just prejudice on my part, but let me give you an example of one of these type of creatures that I didn’t hire. He was late for the interview but phoned me up to say that he was having trouble parking his Porsche.

Could I give him some advice. Why he had to tell me it was a Porsche I don’t know, because he could just have said that he was having trouble parking his car. Perhaps he thought it would impress me. He thought wrong.

When he did arrive he started prattling on about his Porsche. He was obviously well suntanned and he told me that he had just come back from Barbados and proceeded to tell me about the snorkeling, the trip in the submarine, and various other holiday memories.

I was not in a very good mood anyway and so I just wanted rid of this pratt. The interview lasted around 15 minutes and I told him I’d be in touch with his agent.

I could just picture this guy regaling my project team with tales of his holidays and why one version of a Porshe is better than another. Firstly I want people who look like they want to roll up their sleeves. Secondly it would have p*ssed off the project team most severely.

So, I’ve got that off my chest about the type of contractors I don’t like at interview. I’ll follow up shortly with an article on those that I do.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                I was offered both contracts today.

Yesterday's interview seems like a manageable level of the usual sort of faff, despite the rumours, and a much more dynamic gig with better experience. I asked them about their reputation and they gave me logical answers that explain how contractors with a certain mindset would have bailed. The interviewers today seem to have lost the will to live, inside a big bureaucracy and have no appetite to do anything other than keep their pension ticking over.

No contest.

There's a spare seat on the bench now.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Only RH can confirm my point. But maybe it's one of these from an article by a hiring manager.

"I have interviewed dozens of IT contractors. Some I will hire before others. The following are the type of IT contractors I do not want.

1. The Scruff

It doesn’t take much to present oneself well at an interview. Even it is a dress down place contractors should show respect for their interview and their potential new company by making some kind of effort to impress.

When I see someone dressed casually at an interview I always think that they’re saying “You’ll have to fit in with me rather than the other way round”.

I won’t!

2. The Unprepared

When contractors join us I want them to prepare themselves well and do their homework. What gives me a signal that they are likely to be this kind of contractor is if they prepare before they come to the interview.

They should at least know what the company do before they arrive. This information is easy to get. They could ask their agency or they can get the information from the company website.

3. The Chancers

There are some people who arrive at the interview who obviously don’t know the skills that are required. Despite this they still try and bulltulip their way through the questions.

This is a total waste of my time. I presume that they were hoping that there would be no technical questions and that I would take their word for it.

The agencies that send them don’t impress me either.

4. The Techniquers

I don’t know who gives advice to people about the techniques that they should have at an interview. A very firm handshake may impress a girl from HR but if someone puts a death grip on my hand when shaking it, it just p*sses me off, firstly because it may hurt a little, secondly because I realise I am being techniqued. I’m going to give the contract to someone who can do the job.

We don’t have vacancies for people who can wring other people’s hands. We have no call for it.

5. The Bored

There are two ways that people show me that they are not interested in what they are being told about the company or the job. The first ones are those that actually look bored and show it.

The second are those that pay excessive attention, as they have been told that it shows interest. Some of them show it by never taking their eyes off you for a second.

Their eyes grow wider and wider as they force themselves to listen to what you are telling them. It’s quite spooky. You either have interest in the job and company or you don’t.

I want those who do!

6. The Beggars

I am sure that they have been told that it is a good technique at an interview. Either that or they are just desperate. I’ve had several of the ones who say things like “If you just give me this chance I’ll not let you down”.

One guy even said that he would work for a graduate’s salary rather than the salary of the Systems Manager that I was hiring for till he’d proved himself to me. I did hire him and, of course, I did give him the full salary, but he wasn’t worth even the graduate’s salary. I have never found that any of these type of guys ever turn out to be very good.

7. Those Unaware of Problems

Many places give technical interviews. I tend not to as those just off a course would be better at doing them than someone with several years’ experience, the reason being that all areas of the skill are covered by the course, whereas only a subset of those are used in practice.

What I find best is to ask interviewees what can go wrong and how they could fix it.

If you are hiring a Project Manager who knows all the latest Prince, ISO and CMM techniques, but who doesn’t know what could go wrong at the various stages of a project and what you can do to stop that happening or to fix it when it does happen, then you are going to have major problems on your project if you hire him or her – even of they can answer all the Prince questions.

8. Those with Longer Contracts

There is little point in taking references. It is against the law to give a bad reference, and most people will give them anyway, whether the person is any good or not. The person who is being interviewed can also pick who they get references from and I don’t know the people from Adam.

No, I much prefer to look at the lengths of their previous contracts. If they keep getting renewed then that is the best reference you can get from a previous employer.

If they have short contracts, and they seldom get renewed, you can say that previous employers are voting with their boots.

9. The Cushy Number Brigade

It doesn’t look good at an interview if contractors start enquiring if they can do some of their work from home, or whether they can do all of their hours in 4 days taking Friday off.

I’m not averse to some of the work being done from home as long as I can monitor that it is being done. Also, if someone lives a long way off and asks at the interview if they can come to some arrangement I don’t mind that either.

However, there are some that you know are just looking for an easy time and that doesn’t come across well at the interview.

10. The Tanned Porsche Driver

Perhaps this is just prejudice on my part, but let me give you an example of one of these type of creatures that I didn’t hire. He was late for the interview but phoned me up to say that he was having trouble parking his Porsche.

Could I give him some advice. Why he had to tell me it was a Porsche I don’t know, because he could just have said that he was having trouble parking his car. Perhaps he thought it would impress me. He thought wrong.

When he did arrive he started prattling on about his Porsche. He was obviously well suntanned and he told me that he had just come back from Barbados and proceeded to tell me about the snorkeling, the trip in the submarine, and various other holiday memories.

I was not in a very good mood anyway and so I just wanted rid of this pratt. The interview lasted around 15 minutes and I told him I’d be in touch with his agent.

I could just picture this guy regaling my project team with tales of his holidays and why one version of a Porshe is better than another. Firstly I want people who look like they want to roll up their sleeves. Secondly it would have p*ssed off the project team most severely.

So, I’ve got that off my chest about the type of contractors I don’t like at interview. I’ll follow up shortly with an article on those that I do.
                  Nice read....care to post the follow-up for completeness?
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                    Nice read....care to post the follow-up for completeness?
                    It's from another 'contractor' site. They've not done it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      It's from another 'contractor' site. They've not done it yet.
                      There's another?
                      Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Working...
                      X