• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family-friendly towns in England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
    I drive an old Opel (Vauxhall for you). What's wrong with it?

"Catching up with the Joneses", etc... that's so 2007.
    I wouldn't let you onto my driveway in that, it probably leaks oil and how will you look at the golf club?

You need to smarten up a bit if you are thinking of living in the SE. This isn't Huddersfield you know.

Comment

I went to Exeter last summer and I liked it a lot.
      Relevant linky:
      http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...r-6282484.html

Comment

I drive an old Opel (Vauxhall for you). What's wrong with it?

"Catching up with the Joneses", etc... that's so 2007.

Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I wouldn't let you onto my driveway in that, it probably leaks oil and how will you look at the golf club?

You need to smarten up a bit if you are thinking of living in the SE. This isn't Huddersfield you know.
          Since when has golf club membership been smart?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

WHS.

Can't admin just bin all accounts over a 6mths old with <10 posts? It'll stop the silly tw@ts waking their sleeper sockies.

Comment

Taunton is nice. Handy for Bristol and Exeter, on a motorway, and fast railway main lines in three directions. Maybe a bit too far West for you, but the prices fall between 'the London effect' and the SW holiday home/retirement markets.

Comment

Somerset. So everything in a 100 mile radius would be OK for the weekend-odd family visit: Bristol, Swindon, Portsmouth, SOuthampton, Reading.

I went to Exeter last summer and I liked it a lot.
                Then you should move to Somerset. Theres no point moving to the aera where you are looking, when you will have no grandparent support for babysitting. You will have the inconvenience of having to drive away from London with everyone else every time there is a bank holiday and your wife wants to see her parents.

I moved my family to Somerset nearly 10 years ago this year. It's the best thing I ever did. You can get into London from Bristol or Bath Spa train stations in an hour and half and have a clear run down the M4 and A303,M3 for the Thames gateway. I am near Bristol airport as well so I can make it to Amsterdam in 50 minutes. It has a bonus of a very nice style of life when you are home at the weekends and there are nice places in your price range down here.

Comment

I know the areas well.

How far outside London?
                  What size house do you want for <£250k?

I can then narrow that down for you.

(Have you thought of renting?)
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    WHS.

Can't admin just bin all accounts over a 6mths old with <10 posts? It'll stop the silly tw@ts waking their sleeper sockies.
                    Shhhhhh, my sockies have just gone off to sleep you loud tw@t.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                      You won't find much for 250K in nice areas, 400K is more like it.
                      In the south, definitely (which is what he wanted). If you try the north, or Scotland, you'd have a fighting chance.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X