• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie or Bye, what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know a bloke who has negotiated a 'permie/contractor' role.

still has his limited co, no notice period either way but has a two way verbal agreement that he will be there forever.
    no paid hols training or sick. no pension, pays ir35

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Or house prices!
      Phew, he is back...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ask AnyW's Mum for advice.
        Scraggy!! Very disappointing. You could have done better than that surely?????
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
          Like somebody used to say in their footer:

"Permies earn more than benched Contractors".
          Depends where you are. Crazy Europeans give benched contractors a grand or more a week.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
            Depends where you are. Crazy Europeans give benched contractors a grand or more a week.
            I don't get that when I'm working!!

Makes me wish there was a system where you could volunteer to be deported in place of an immigrant :-)

Comment

Update

ClientCo are bringing in a max contractor tenure of 12 months down from 36, then Permie or leave.

The BIG plan is to be totally contractor free by end of 2013.

Spoke to my sponsoring manager last night and asked him if there was an update on this situation and he told me that the request for an exception for me had been raised by him and had been ok'd by his boss and passed up the ladder to his boss, only 2 more levels of managerial decisions to go and then I should know what is happening.
              Last edited by Scrag Meister; 26 January 2012, 11:19.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                I don't get that when I'm working!!

Makes me wish there was a system where you could volunteer to be deported in place of an immigrant :-)
                no need - you can always travel to Somalia and buy a second hanf AK47 - then you have work again - and the weather is nice there.
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I have always been more secure as a contractor than i ever was a a permie.

How many permies keep a warchest and could survive 12 months with no income, and when i get laid off i have my CV ready and know how to approach an interview unlike most permies i know.

Its a contractors life for me everytime

Comment

What's the market like for your line of work?

If it is a case of not much warchest and the work is drying up then consider it.

I have had this decision in the past and chose to leave.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                      ClientCo are bringing in a max contractor tenure of 12 months down from 36, then Permie or leave.

The BIG plan is to be totally contractor free by end of 2013.

Spoke to my sponsoring manager last night and asked him if there was an update on this situation and he told me that the request for an exception for me had been raised by him and had been ok'd by his boss and passed up the ladder to his boss, only 2 more levels of managerial decisions to go and then I should know what is happening.
                      Pathetic. New boss at my last permie Co tried this. Many of the contractors lasted longer than he did. Most competant managers recognise that a bit of slaggin contractors to keep the permies happy is enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X