• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working / living in Dubai

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Helpful as usual....

How many posts before we get a cretin or village idiots comment?
    Er 10?

Comment

With booze it is not only (fairly, but not overly) expensive, you have to get a special card if you want to buy some for your home (it's rationed effectively) and buy it from a special secret shop. Exciting but weird.

The sex/dress rules really aren't a big issue if you aren't a British idiot, and you can visit hotels at the weekends where the rules are relaxed.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Helpful as usual....

How many posts before we get a cretin or village idiots comment?
        I'm merely pointing out that it wasn't more than a few weeks ago that the OP was telling all and sundry, ad nauseum, how great Deutschland was and how happy he was there.
        To be looking at a craphole like Dubai (a charmless, cultureless desert, literally) suggests to me the OP is a flibbertibigget and/or incompetent. And so I feel sorry for his sprog.

HTH.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I was at National Bank of Dubai for 2 years in late 90s. Possibly not the most exciting place in the world for a single person but great if you are a family.

All I'd advise is that you get your accommodation sorted & make sure you know where you are going to end up (if they are sorting it out for you). One other thing, ISTR that the cost of utilities was phenomenally expensive (water, electric etc) so you might want to check that out.

Place has probably doubled in size since I was there but I had an apartment on Sheikh Zayed Road behind the Metropolitan Hotel. Perfect location if you are working in the city centre as it's a short drive in and you're not far from the beaches. Most expat families went for Jumeirah but I was never into that cliquey scene really.

You could also consider Sharjah as it's much cheaper & not far to drive. No alcohol though.

Comment

Can I just re-iterate.. It gets fookin hot in summer and that coupled with 100% humidity makes it very uncomfortable. Granted you are in doors most of the time and everything has aircon on full blast it is awful. Most people try and go on holiday around this time.

I spent some time out there and didn't have a problem finding alcohol anywhere really. Food fine, culture great if you just take a few basic precautions and understand the local customs (like Americans don't!)

More than enough cheap accomodation but it is illegal to be in debt in Dubai and don't be dipping your wicket with tourists/missus/tourists&missus on the beach. You will go to jail.

First few weeks were just brilliant. After that slowly lost it's appeal and then summer hit...

Fabulous place to go try and say you have done it, really not for me for longer term IMO.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I have been there and seen the hordes of workers I think it is morally wrong to do business there.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Can I just re-iterate.. It gets fookin hot in summer and that coupled with 100% humidity makes it very uncomfortable. Granted you are in doors most of the time and everything has aircon on full blast it is awful. Most people try and go on holiday around this time.
                Very true - we were there just as the heat was ramping up... 40 degrees or so around Easter was hot but OK, but it gets to more like 50 and everyone just hides.
                I don't know you're right about 100% humidity though, it's a desert. The fact it's dry heat is the only reason 40 degrees is bearable... it was a bit like Vegas in the summer.

I spent some time out there and didn't have a problem finding alcohol anywhere really.
                Easy to find, but it's not available everywhere like here. I found it rather weird being in restaurants with no wine/beer... you have to specifically choose a restaurant with alcohol (we went to the horse-riding club).
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  I have been there and seen the hordes of workers I think it is morally wrong to do business there.
                  Ok, who the **** are you and what've you done with DodgyAgent?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Bob's cheaper brother I take it? Not much difference to companies who outsource here really...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Bob's cheaper brother I take it? Not much difference to companies who outsource here really...
                      I think most people who end up outsourced here can return home as and when they want.

Well at least the bobs at current clientco can. It doesn't seem to be an option for the poor sods in that article.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X