• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've heard it all now!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics basically say the methods used were flawed, and the result pre-determined before the actual outcomes, and was funded by a body which has been accused of 'scientific racisism'. It was carried out by two guys, one of whom was alive when it was published and who's not actually qualified in this field.

Supporters say it's all true, and genetics explain it all.

Maybe a good place to sum it up would be an independent scientific bodies published statement:

"The differential between the mean intelligence test scores of Blacks and Whites (about one standard deviation, although it may be diminishing) does not result from any obvious biases in test construction and administration, nor does it simply reflect differences in socio-economic status. Explanations based on factors of caste and culture may be appropriate, but so far have little direct empirical support. There is certainly no such support for a genetic interpretation. At present, no one knows what causes this differential."

BTW It's an american study on the american population.
    Last edited by snaw; 10 May 2006, 12:56.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Oh yes, I love a nice pussy now and again... and again and again...
      I doubt there's enough of us in the UK to satisfy your hunger. Plenty of loose cats in the USA however. Though it will be hard to sneak a large green lizard (with a deep seated hatred of James T) onto a plane.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

my personal take on this ...

...as someone who thinks statistically, I know how hard it is to conduct a study of this sort. Getting representative samples from each population, especially when, as far as I know, IQ tests are not routinely administered in the US, would be problemataic. There are well known problems with retrospective tests.
        If you factor in the nebulous concept of IQ as a dependent variable - I would be very sceptical.
        PS Are these the same guys who came out with the absurd nonsense of assigning a mean IQ to a country?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
        X