• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yup, see the second edit to my reply above.
    Ah, sorry, didn't see your edit.

Yes - that sounds like it. It is chequered.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Well "schacht" means "shaft", according to Google translate. So I guess the full word is some archaic German heraldic term along the lines of "beshafted".

edit: try running this through Google translate.

edit #2: Done it, out of curiosity:

So evidently it means "chequered" (or whatever the British heraldic equivalent is).
      Brilliant - ta - "you must spread it around" etc. - I'll owe you!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        If the verb is schachten (i.e. to shaft), then "shafted" would be right, if that makes any sense.

"Schach" is chess, so I wonder if it's some kind of reference to a chequer pattern? That'd be my wild uneducated (well intermediate German) guess.
        You should be on eggheads! Cheers.

Comment

Pretty good uneducated guess. Even if OwlHoot went back and edited his post to make it look like he thought of it first.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            "Schach" is chess, so I wonder if it's some kind of reference to a chequer pattern? That'd be my wild uneducated (well intermediate German) guess.
            A good guess. Sometimes lateral thinking for translations can lead you up a blind alley, but not in this case.

Shoving "chequered" in on Leo gives amongst other results schachbrettartig - "chess board like".
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
            X