• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Bloody Christmas from the HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Bloody Christmas from the HMRC

During 2010-2011 I was a Permie for the first 6 months of the tax year, went contracting and didn't draw a salary for the rest of the tax year, sent off to the HMRC expecting a rebate of some sort as was on a good permie salary but got a letter today saying instead I owe them £90.

Was banking on the rebate for a new camera.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I owe them 68p. I haven't put any effort into thinking about why.

Your situation sounds entirely wrong though.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      During 2010-2011 I was a Permie for the first 6 months of the tax year, went contracting and didn't draw a salary for the rest of the tax year, sent off to the HMRC expecting a rebate of some sort as was on a good permie salary but got a letter today saying instead I owe them £90.

Was banking on the rebate for a new camera.
      Have you asked for an explanation as to why?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Have you asked for an explanation as to why?
        They gave me a break down in the letter, without going through all my old payslips I have to assume their figures are right

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Have you considered asking your accountant?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Have you considered asking your accountant?
            Heaven forfend

Only a real contractor would think of that
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Heaven forfend

Only a real contractor would think of that
              Don't have an accountant, do it all myself, why give money to someone else when a bit of research and a question or two on here can achieve the same result for free.

Comment

Don't have an accountant, do it all myself, why give money to someone else when a bit of research and a question or two on here can achieve the same result for free.
                You're already at least £90 down with that idea, and lord only knows how much you're missing out on in terms of a rebate.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  You're already at least £90 down with that idea, and lord only knows how much you're missing out on in terms of a rebate.

WSuityS
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

They gave me a break down in the letter, without going through all my old payslips I have to assume their figures are right
                    Been there myself recently and got best part of £1500 back.

You shouldn't need your payslips your P45 and P11D gives all the information.

As suggested get your accountant to do it. If however you did it yourself could check the following

Did you enter your pay rather than your taxable pay

Did you pay yourself too much dividend from YourLtd

Anything in your permie P11D that had not been adjusted in your tax code (Company Car, Health Cover). Check your permie employer didn't say you had the benefits for the full year rather tha pro rata for the time in employment. Mine got it wrong and had to re-issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X