• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

better off in the public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    For the NHS, atleast, it still works like this, except that it is on 'reckonable' pay, rather than final salary, which is unlikely to be much different.
    I am almost certain that NHS has always been x/80, not x/60, but if it's /60 I'm quids in from my NHS service.

Civil Service was always x/60 but this was to compensate for lower wages - when I've worked alongside Department of Health people, there wages have always been considerably lower than they would have been in the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Not sure where you get the 8 weeks paid holiday, 5 if your lucky and then maybe a increase after working there for god knows how many years.
      25 weeks where I am, increase to 30 after 2 years - most of them get flexi time still as well, 'tis why Fridays are always empty!

and they still bloody moan- 6pm in office tonight and there was 3 staff left out of a team of about 60and yes you guessed it we are all contractors
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
        25 weeks where I am, increase to 30 after 2 years s
        25 weeks its even worse than i suspected

Comment

It amuses me to see people seriously think about pensions like this - unless you are about to retire tomorrow rest assured that social security system as it is in the West is a just bigger version of Maddoff's pyramid.

Even if you get to pension age you won't live enough to enjoy it - most likely you'll be out of job for 10-15 years before pension kicks in due to increased threshold and stress of those year will kill you pretty quickly before you get any meaningful payout.

This assumes the pension won't be devalued due to money printing!

Comment

It's true to say that life expectancy in the West has peaked and is now in decline.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
              25 weeks where I am, increase to 30 after 2 years - most of them get flexi time still as well, 'tis why Fridays are always empty!
              That doesn't sound much different to any private client I worked at.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have to say I'm not too concerned about a pension at this point, I'm thinking I may invest my hard earned cash in another property after I've paid my current house off
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  It's true to say that life expectancy in the West has peaked and is now in decline.
                  eh? I thought it was still going up? Got any justification for that statement - I am very interested.

Though I still think penion age should be set at the average life expectancy age.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    eh? I thought it was still going up? Got any justification for that statement - I am very interested.
                    Maybe this is what I was remembering:

Life expectancy declining in many parts of US

Although a quick google shows it seems to be declining in plenty of other places too.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Though I still think penion age should be set at the average life expectancy age.
                    None of the other options make any sense.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 8 June 2022, 17:50.

Comment

Working...
                      X