• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

X has cost the economy Y million pounds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X has cost the economy Y million pounds

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 9 June 2022, 16:37.

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Ever noticed how the media are constantly measuring everything in terms of how much it has cost the economy? Anyone would think we live in a society that cares only about money!
    I do sometimes question the calculations. They're often rounded up to the nearest 100 million or sometimes billion if its a particularly bad natural disaster or something.
    How do we know these losses aren't recovered after the disaster, e.g. storms in Scotland may have disrupted parcels being delivered, but they'll clear the backlog eventually. Flights may not fly on time or at all, but how many people cancel their trip all together.

Comment

Ever noticed how the media are constantly measuring everything in terms of how much it has cost the economy? Anyone would think we live in a society that cares only about money!
      Is there anything else to care about?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Is there anything else to care about?
        Pretty much everything.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think you've got completely the wrong end of the stick. Money a used because it is a universally understood standard measure of resource. I can't think of a better one off-hand.

In the case of storms, fixing things costs resources that now won't be used for other things. There is no other way of measuring it.

Comment

oh I don't know if you have the audacity to go to the doctor 1 million degenerates missed their appointments! How could we be so unfair to the poor NHS, I mean they never muck my appointment up or have me waiting for 2 hours. Its free and we should be jolly well grateful.

Of course they let it slip today 1 in 65 appointments are missed, so less than 2%, not a bad statistic!

Remember its important they fulfil their objectives.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X