• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Huhne plans 32,000 more wind turbines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Nuclear power, you know it makes sense. Cheap, efficient, safe, proven tech.
    Cheap? You're no really considering the full-life cycle of equipment and fuel in that calculation me thinks. It takes 300 years to decontaminate equipment before it can be recycled. Work starts on Dounreay low-level waste store £100m building the facility, monitored for 300 years.

Efficient? Nuclear is more efficient than wind? Now I've heard it all. Wind (the fuel) goes straight to the generator, nuclear fuel requires processing before use and 300 years of management before it can be disregarded.

Safe? Contaminated landscapes causing uncounted number of diseases over the course of 3 millennia so you could put the kettle on?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Many forms of generation need subsidy at some part of their lifetime, nuclear has been around for 50 years yet is not viable without Government underwriting the waste disposal, cleanup and insurance against the next Chernobyl.

Hansard Coal: Subsidies: 9 Sep 2010: Hansard Written Answers and Statements - TheyWorkForYou

And of course, only a fraction of the costs of climate change adaptation and mitigation will fall on the generators ....
      Don't deny that all power generation gets some form of subsidy. Most of the subsidies handed out to coal based power generation is for the burning of biomass as an alternative to coal to allow the government to reduce its CO2 output, well not have to record the CO2 from burning wood because it is renewable. But surely to be renewable the growth of biomass must outstrip the consumption. Not sure this is true but is probably not far off.

Why am I trying to be serious here - nobody really cares. We've all got entrenched views that no one will be able to change - on either side - so yah boo sucks. I'm right! I'm right!
      Beer
      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        and whether there is any future in the wind technology
        A future without wind... naaah.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Cheap? You're no really considering the full-life cycle of equipment and fuel in that calculation me thinks. It takes 300 years to decontaminate equipment before it can be recycled. Work starts on Dounreay low-level waste store £100m building the facility, monitored for 300 years.

Efficient? Nuclear is more efficient than wind? Now I've heard it all. Wind (the fuel) goes straight to the generator, nuclear fuel requires processing before use and 300 years of management before it can be disregarded.

Safe? Contaminated landscapes causing uncounted number of diseases over the course of 3 millennia so you could put the kettle on?
          The usual uninformed Daily Mail reading pish. Someday you'll post something you know about (the planet will have fried itself by then).

Me, me, me...

Comment

The usual uninformed Daily Mail reading pish. Someday you'll post something you know about (the planet will have fried itself by then).

The insult, a retort of the weak mind when the argument is lost.

Comment

The insult, a retort of the weak mind when the argument is lost.
              No insult just an observation.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

No insult just an observation.
                I don't read the DM. Insult. Yawn.

Comment

I don't read the DM.
                  Something to aspire to.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Wind (the fuel) goes straight to the generator, ...
                    Once again, you've failed to grasp the concept that is power management: wind technology does not fit into how the National Grid operates.

Why do you keep parroting the same nonsense?

All you see is a windmill turning and say it's "free energy" despite the upfront capex and mismatch into a country's energy requirements.

What you don't see is penetration into the grid and the requirement for backup fossil fuel and you disregard the existence of peaking power and the requirement for guaranteed power supplies at a required time, which wind will never achieve.

We've discussed this before and yet you keep on with the same MSM driven meme and the same bankrupt ideology.

I'll say it again for the hard of understanding: wind technology, despite its touchy feeling making me feel good connotation, does not fit in with real world operations of providing power to a nation.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The fact is these 32000 wind turbines won't get built; of course a few of them will maybe a 1000. There's no money left to throw on Green hobbies anymore. Wind turbines and solar panels are built to make people feel better, but don't actually serve any purpose other than shove electricity prices through the roof. In the next few years as the climate cools, climate change will join the Ozone hole and dying forests in the dustbin of environmental history.

The fact is in spite of considerable investment in wind and solar, the Germans are still expanding their fossil fuel power generation.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 December 2011, 06:53.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X