• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will you be paying for F1?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Also - you can already get SkySports on Freeview as a paid top-up can't you? So are they launching a cut-down version just for F1, or is F1 going on a new Sky channel so there is room for it alongside football and so on?
    Are TopupTV still going? No idea. I guess the new channel is in part so that it doesn't clash with other sports, but mainly so that Sky can get some extra cash out of Virgin for carrying it on cable (or alternately, attract cable customers to satellite).

I probably will subscribe, especially if they're going to get Brundle and do a decent job of it. Plus they're going to show the practice sessions, which the BBC only show on the non-recordable red button.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Actually you don't even need to buy Sky Sports the F1 channel is part of the HD channel package so can be had for £30.25 a month all in for those who don't like any other sport.
      Don't think so, but I hope you're right as that's what I have now.

I thought you contractors would just pay for the full luxury gold-plated give me everything telly package without a blink of an eye. As a permie, so £30.25 a month is all I can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Balls, he is one of the best things about the BBC coverage (which is uniformly excellent IMHO). So DC will be the lead commentator?
        You will probably still get Brundle for the BBC races as the BBC and Sky will be sharing production facilities and commentary teams. This was a key part of the joint proposal from BBC and Sky as it will save costs.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Will the BBC be showing highlights or will certain races be on Sky only?

I'm not that bothered watching to pay up, Vettel will probably clean up again next year unless McLaren or Ferrari build a more competitive car.

Besides I don't like being taken for a mug, which you are if you pay to watch SKY yet they also have advert breaks, and charge extra for certain channels or make them only available if you also pay for certain packages, forcing you to pay for more than you are interested in.

You can get Top Up TV on freeview if you have the card slot on your TV or freeview box. It currently has Sky Sports 1 and 2 as well as a few other channels like UK Gold but it's still around £30/month and I can't see them dropping the price if they include F1 in that.

So Sky can kiss my arse, and so can the F1 scum who sold out the free access that was supposed to be built into all broadcasting contracts.

Have the F1 Team Association (FOTA) done anything about it as they were reportedly said to be against the move when it was announced. I expect they've been bought off one way or the other.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Don't think so, but I hope you're right as that's what I have now.

I thought you contractors would just pay for the full luxury gold-plated give me everything telly package without a blink of an eye. As a permie, so £30.25 a month is all I can afford.
            In my experience proper contractors just aren't like that, as I'm always looking to maximize income/minimize expenditure I probably spend less than the permies I work with which is why I have no debts and they're all tulipting themselves with worry during the downturn.

I watch football on p2p, F1 wont be any different.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

C'mon we are contractors, if you can't spare 10 a week for all the sport in the world in HD and even 3D you're not really cut out etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                So Sky can kiss my arse, and so can the F1 scum who sold out the free access that was supposed to be built into all broadcasting contracts.
                Free for only £144 per year?

It's premium content, it really shouldn't be paid for by taxpayers. Realistically it was either adverts in the races, or a pay channel, and I think I'd rather have a pay channel. F1 had a contract with the BBC to provide that coverage for another couple of years, and the BBC decided to try to get out of it early. If you're going to blame anyone, it should be the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Why not get Sky? If you want to be able to watch any decent sport these days you need Sky Sports. HD premiership and champions league football for example.
                  Actually cost aside, I don't want the hassle of installation and I don't really want to use a Sky PVR. I also worry I'd end up watching too much sport - I'm quite happy with MOTD and the BBC has wonderful coverage of Wimbledon, etc.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Are TopupTV still going? No idea. I guess the new channel is in part so that it doesn't clash with other sports, but mainly so that Sky can get some extra cash out of Virgin for carrying it on cable (or alternately, attract cable customers to satellite).
                  I don't know if it's called TopupTV but you can definitely get pay channels on Freeview.

I probably will subscribe, especially if they're going to get Brundle and do a decent job of it. Plus they're going to show the practice sessions, which the BBC only show on the non-recordable red button.
                  On freeview, red button is channel 301 IIRC. Can't remember exactly but I think you can record it.

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Will the BBC be showing highlights or will certain races be on Sky only?
                  Every race you either get full BBC coverage, or extended highlights on BBC (1.5-2 hours). I'm fairly hopeful that is enough not to suck too much!

C'mon we are contractors, if you can't spare 10 a week for all the sport in the world in HD and even 3D you're not really cut out etc etc.
                  We're supposed to be entrepreneurs and businessmen. Successful businessmen do NOT throw money about.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                    I wont. Then again I am in Germany so its terrestrial.
                    whs
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Being a "proper" contractor, when I am not working I am out at prestigious events or enjoying fine dining. Alternatively I am off enjoying a well earned break in some exotic foreign location. I therefore have no need for "all the sport in the world in HD and even 3D".
                      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                      X