• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    No, I used the manufacturers descaler (despite it rather disturbingly having "baby cleaner" written on the packet) but after 4 years or so it stopped working, when I dismantled it I found theinside of the boiler / heating element (which didn't seem to be brass but aluminium) was quite badly corroded.

Don't you have some software to not install properly? Have you tried angry birds? I've heard that's really tricky to get working.

Like it
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      That's a truly terrible argument for spending a lot on home items. By that logic I should spend £2000 on a fridge because it is saving me money compared to the pub. The fact a £400 fridge would do the same job is apparently not a factor.
      It's not an argument for spending a lot, and it's nothing to do with saving money. It's an argument that £1000 isn't actually a lot to spend on a coffee machine relative to the other costs involved in drinking lots of coffee.

If I could find one with a brass boiler, heat exchanger, heated brass group head and rotary pump for £400 I would certainly check it out. As it is they seem to start around £7-800.

Anyway, it turns out that the modern gaggia home machines are known for corroding because they have a mixed brass / aluminium boiler. So I suspect if I bought another it would die in 4-5 years or so just as the last one did.
      Last edited by doodab; 25 November 2011, 16:22.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        That's a truly terrible argument for spending a lot on home items. By that logic I should spend £2000 on a fridge because it is saving me money compared to the pub. The fact a £400 fridge would do the same job is apparently not a factor.
        I put it to you that if people stop spending large amounts of money on expensive gadgets and appliances controlled by software, we're all fooked.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Cheap gadgets can still use embedded software
          Anyway, those with more money than sense can buy them and keep us in work. Luckily, no matter how deep we sink into recession, or how horrific the austerity we have to adopt, the proportion of the population with more money than sense is something to be optimistic about.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Waste of time poncing about with quality machines when you fill it with crappy London water. Your tea sucks big dog's as well.

Scottish water, on the other hand, makes a great cuppa.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Wot about the Nespresso jobbies - not a huge coffee fan but do like an occasional cup?

stick to instant or worth a go?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
              X