• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next Weeks Public Sector Strikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Fine if I got 12 week off, full pay.
    Really, on £26k or whatever it is? And it's not 12 weeks off, it's 12 weeks not in the class-room. You're still expected to do some work.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      These strikes epitomise the fact that public services are run for the prime benefit of the people that run and work in them.
      Maybe local councils with grey drones sitting in offices taking months to reply to your application for planning permission. Those on the 'front lines' generally seem to actually want to get their job done.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Maybe local councils with grey drones sitting in offices taking months to reply to your application for planning permission. Those on the 'front lines' generally seem to actually want to get their job done.
        I am sorry but they do not. There are always anecdotes to support your view but if you compare the performances of the private and public sector schools then they stand out for themselves. Whilst I accept that it is not a level playing field between the two what it is startlingly clear is that no company or institution can run itself effectively when jobs are protected and the well being of the workers is more important than that of the customers.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
          Nope I would not put up with responsibility / authority. But then that's my choice. As is theirs.

The modest salary? It's actually very good given circumstances. Again that's the choice. The pressue in the private sector world is however just as harsh.

I believe teaching is about vocation. And should atract those that want that vocation. Not those that want an easy ride. Which too many are in for.

However, my best man? He's a top bloke, who really cares. Makes an effort. Some of my other friends like the holidays and pension....
          Teaching is far too important a job to be left as a vocation. teaching is the second most important job there is. Teachers should be very well paid but at the same time they should be made fully accountable for their performances.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Really, on £26k or whatever it is? And it's not 12 weeks off, it's 12 weeks not in the class-room. You're still expected to do some work.
            My sister in Law is a teacher and she gets the right hump just before summer holidays end. I realize there are some excellent teachers out there who love to teach, but some are in it for the easy life.

Comment

DA, that's just you stating a right-wing view without backing it up at all. It's a meaningless assertion. And as you say, not a level playing field... private schools tend to:
              • Pay more to staff
              • Have more money for resources and training
              • Exercise some form of control over who they let in... whether deliberately or simply because chavs don't want to go to posho private shool
              That schools with better kids and more money, attracting the top teachers, get better results doesn't prove much at all.

Not to mention, that individual teachers are only the visible part. Private schools have a whole different back-end... avoiding the "grey drones" I mentioned who restrict what can be done, what can be spent, blah blah blah. Teachers hate public sector workers in their LEA as well, for being so frustrating, just like we do!

Comment

My sister in Law is a teacher and she gets the right hump just before summer holidays end. I realize there are some excellent teachers out there who love to teach, but some are in it for the easy life.
                Teaching isn't an easy life. At least not until you've been doing it for several years. You have to work long hours and deal with petty beaurocrats. Put up with parents. Work with horrible brats.

The training to get your teaching qualification is also pretty hard work, in fact very much so, as is the first year of teaching. Many drop out because this makes them so miserable, realising that just doing it for an easy life isn't the reality.

Not to mention, teaching jobs are pretty competitive so if you're not good and you're not lucky with a perm contract, you're shafted... with budget cuts schools are keen to hire NQTs much cheaper than more experienced teachers so you have to stand out or you won't get picked.

After watching dozens of friends working and training for teaching over the last decade, it's very clear it's not easy. If you're not cut out for it, chances are you will crash and burn unless you got in decades ago and are now just waiting on the clock... all the graduating students (it's hard to get on a teaching course without a good degree) who decide to do a teaching course because they don't know what else to do, do not know what's going to hit them.
                Last edited by d000hg; 24 November 2011, 17:28.

Comment

DA, that's just you stating a right-wing view without backing it up at all. It's a meaningless assertion. And as you say, not a level playing field... private schools tend to:
                  • Pay more to staff
                  • Have more money for resources and training
                  • Exercise some form of control over who they let in... whether deliberately or simply because chavs don't want to go to posho private shool
                  That schools with better kids and more money, attracting the top teachers, get better results doesn't prove much at all.

Not to mention, that individual teachers are only the visible part. Private schools have a whole different back-end... avoiding the "grey drones" I mentioned who restrict what can be done, what can be spent, blah blah blah. Teachers hate public sector workers in their LEA as well, for being so frustrating, just like we do!
                  OK but they should not just be paid more and nor should they go on strike. They should be paid as well as private sector teachers and made to run after class clubs/sports and made fully accountable by removing the sacking laws. My view may be right wing but I believe there is no reason why EVERY school should not be as good as the best private schools in terms of quality of teaching and facilities.

Comment

My sister in Law
                    So, either you've married someone who has a sibling, or you have a sibling who has married?

Stranger things have happened, I guess.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

They can choose freely. So some classes might be as normal, others closed, depending which classes the staff are there for. Typically those not striking have to turn up and do admin if the kids don't come in.

It sounds like about 50% are striking at my wife's school.

Jeebo is a tool who doesn't know anything about anything. I must know a dozen teachers and tell me non stop that they are amongst the hardest workers I know, putting in extra time and caring about their job.
                      FTFY.

My experience of a couple of teachers in the family.

They were convinced nobody works as hard as teachers.

Sod that.

You just hit a nerve there, matey.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X