• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next Weeks Public Sector Strikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a teacher were to take a 6 year olds lunch money, they would be sacked, jailed, villified and lynched.

But committing to unaffordable pensions is basically taking money from future generations anyway - they are the ones that have to pick up the tab - and then not have the same pensions themselves anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      If a teacher were to take a 6 year olds lunch money, they would be sacked, jailed, villified and lynched.
      If a banker does it, they get promoted, lauded, a knighthood and bailed out by the taxpayer.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

But committing to unaffordable pensions is basically taking money from future generations anyway - they are the ones that have to pick up the tab - and then not have the same pensions themselves anyway.
        One of the issues which the press and the government ignores is that not all public sector schemes are the same for good reasons i.e. you don't want a 60 year old fireman coming to rescue you there as a 60 year old dinner lady isn't a problem.

Anyway the teachers scheme was suppose to be audited and then the teachers were suppose to be told how much they had to increase their contributions by, change retirement age, etc. This happened before about 12 years ago and they did increase their contributions. However the current government has refused to audit their scheme lumping them in with schemes that everyone knows are clearly in deficit and have been for decades like the Local Government Pension scheme.

Oh and notice how they haven't forced yet forced doctors to have a career average pension, and the NHS pension bill isn't cheap.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If they aren't on a permanent contract, then it's much easier to get rid.
          You mean supply teachers?

I know and knew a few of them.

They were employed in different ways i.e. agency, local authority but never directly by the school. Though it may be different outside London and the home counties. Most are young, lots are foreign but there are some doing it near retirement as they avoid dealing with the paperwork. None of them get paid for holidays but they don't mind.

Some of the supply teachers I know/knew tried to avoid certain schools mainly because of:
          1. The head teacher
          2. The teacher they were taking over from who set them sh*t work to give the kids.

Two I know were and are given kids for a term or two while their teachers are having operations, They find it hard work if the teacher, who is less experienced than them, gives them sh*tty lesson plans. They rather do their own as even though it's more work they know the kids learn. Though they prefer if they are given the kids for the later terms in the year until the end of the year as otherwise the kids have to get use to another teacher.

Comment

They don't need to.

They get a supply of chocolates, scented candles and if they are lucky alcohol twice a year at primary level.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You mean supply teachers?
              No, I mean teachers who are employed for a fixed duration, rather than being employed permanently as a teacher.

Even if the teacher has been in the school for a number of years, they aren't necessarily employed on a permanent basis.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

No, I mean teachers who are employed for a fixed duration, rather than being employed permanently as a teacher.

Even if the teacher has been in the school for a number of years, they aren't necessarily employed on a permanent basis.
                With the amount of bloody holiday teachers get they can get themselves a bloody summer job to make up the difference.

Workshy layabouts, why not strike on your inset days(another pain in the arse they are for parents).
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  With the amount of bloody holiday teachers get they can get themselves a bloody summer job to make up the difference.

Workshy layabouts, why not strike on your inset days(another pain in the arse they are for parents).
                  Our school will be having an INSET day next Wednesday for those that are on-site.

When I had a summer job working in a theme park, way back when, my manager for the summer was a teacher who did it in his weekends and holidays.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

i.e. contractors
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X