• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Oracle always been this naff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    What's wrong with TOAD?
    It's not free, and doesn't do what Raptor does.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      No most people will already have a Java runtime installed and you really don't want multiple Java runtimes on computer.
      Well, you don't want multiples in your system path really, but multiple JDKs is quite normal for a java dev, I usually have at least 5, 6 and 7 on the go, sometimes multiple minor versions too.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Toad for Querying yes.

Still have to set up a stupid massive footprint on your computer to use Oracle. I mean a TNSNAMES.ORA file, Oracle Client and the services needs to be running to get access to a remote database. WTF is that all about?
        You don't need any of those things for SQL Developer. You just need to install the one product and either point it to an existing Java install or install it with the product.

SQL developer takes up about 100MB of disk space, though.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I think it was 8i that bought the "universal installer" java thing in.
          Think so. The one thing that Oracle have been consistently bad at is writing an installer. Seems to be getting better now though.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I think suity's problem might be that he's installed it somewhere that needs admin permissions to update the sqldeveloper.conf so he probably needs to run it as admin.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I think suity's problem might be that he's installed it somewhere that needs admin permissions to update the sqldeveloper.conf so he probably needs to run it as admin.
              I don't think that even begins to cover the list of Suity's problems.

I wonder if the playroom has padded walls.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Toad for Querying yes.

Still have to set up a stupid massive footprint on your computer to use Oracle. I mean a TNSNAMES.ORA file, Oracle Client and the services needs to be running to get access to a remote database. WTF is that all about?
                I cannot remember the tool, but I've definitely used a standalone client that lets you connect to a remote Oracle DB without any extra things to install/configure on your local box. It let you do queries, edit/compile stored procedures and so on.

Now it's annoying me I can't remember the name
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I cannot remember the tool, but I've definitely used a standalone client that lets you connect to a remote Oracle DB without any extra things to install/configure on your local box. It let you do queries, edit/compile stored procedures and so on.

Will it connect to other databases too using ODBC?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Well, you don't want multiples in your system path really, but multiple JDKs is quite normal for a java dev, I usually have at least 5, 6 and 7 on the go, sometimes multiple minor versions too.

exackery

we've got .net systems with different parts of the runtime working against different jdk versions

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

SQL Developer - which Suity can't get to work.

You can also do database comparisons, data modelling, testing, session monitoring, debugging, DBA tasks....

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Will it connect to other databases too using ODBC?
                      Not that I can see, but it will connect via JDBC, LDAP, TNS or providing the connection details to the Oracle database (host, port and SID/service name)
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X