• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Oracle always been this naff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with TOAD?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      What's wrong with TOAD?
      I wa thinking that but didn't want to show meself up by saying it, in case there is some obvious reason why you couldn't use it.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        I wa thinking that but didn't want to show meself up by saying it, in case there is some obvious reason why you couldn't use it.
        It's not advertised on the oracle website so you wouldn't necessarily know about it unless you had some oracle experience, in which case you would probably have downloaded it straight away.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Toad for Querying yes.

Still have to set up a stupid massive footprint on your computer to use Oracle. I mean a TNSNAMES.ORA file, Oracle Client and the services needs to be running to get access to a remote database. WTF is that all about?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Has Oracle always been this naff?
            Yes, and that's a good thing because it keeps contractors in work. I was an Oracle DBA for a while; it made me stacks of money even though I was tulip at it.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              Maybe...doesn't reason with all the other products I use that supply a Windows msi and have versions on other platforms.

I suppose its their way of prodding us on to Oracle Linux.
              I'd expect the oracle/ windows stuff to quietly die out in the next few years... Be that by Licence costs or reducing support & upgrades.... Oracle Linux will also take a dive...

I am still surprised that people haven't noticed that Oracle now own a hardware vendor, Enterprise Operating System and Java. While Larry has spent the last few years talking up single vendor stacks...

I came from a Sun background so I am bound to be biased. Even so, now that I can buy an intel based server with an Oracle Optimised OS that I know for a fact will continue to get further integration with the Database and Middle tier I sure as hell am not going to bet against it by installing the software on Windows. Thats just plain crazy

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Downloaded and installed the Oracle Client (32 bit) for windoze.

Try and run SQL Developer.

Path to java.exe please?

OK, downloads and installed JRE.

Enters path to java.exe

Ahh yes, that is indeed the path to java.exe, well done Suity but just to really really really hack you off, I'm going to play the J2SE SDK card now.

Suity googles this strange beast. Nothing called J2SE SDK that can be downloaded. Is this SQL Developer tool making this up just to annoy me?????

OK ok so it seems from a few forum posts that what I want is the JDK. Ha the JDK. Ok I download and install that.

Point the SQL Developer at this new fangled version.

Path to java.exe please?

I just told you where it is, and it's this SDK JDK thingamaflip you wanted. Here it is.

Path to java.exe please?

FOR FOOK SAKE I JUST TOLD YOU WHERE IT IS!!

No error. Just now asking for the path to java.exe.

Which begs the question, why would Oracle shift software with installers that omit the dependancies to leave you hunting round the internet like a zombie looking for this mythical J2SE SDK doobery whatsitpileofkak.

Blimey I miss SQL Server

look mate, stick with your noddy MS C# and leave the enterprise software to the big boys

there's lovely.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  I'd expect the oracle/ windows stuff to quietly die out in the next few years... Be that by Licence costs or reducing support & upgrades.... Oracle Linux will also take a dive...

I am still surprised that people haven't noticed that Oracle now own a hardware vendor, Enterprise Operating System and Java. While Larry has spent the last few years talking up single vendor stacks...

I came from a Sun background so I am bound to be biased. Even so, now that I can buy an intel based server with an Oracle Optimised OS that I know for a fact will continue to get further integration with the Database and Middle tier I sure as hell am not going to bet against it by installing the software on Windows. Thats just plain crazy

agreed,

and reading the wall street journal on the plane on monday, oracle are now agressively
                  advertising their hardware, saying the the biggest oracle (sun) server is faster than
                  the biggest ibm p795 and for a quarter of the price

shame .net doesn't currently run very well with Sun Zones concept - local and global

but saying it, problems pay the bills so more of it I say

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    look mate, stick with your noddy MS C# and leave the enterprise software to the big boys

there's lovely.

Milan.
                    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Let him bugger things up as much as he likes! That's more cash for the 'big boys'!
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      The win32 client ships SQL developer WITHOUT any frakin java runtime. This is poo™
                      No most people will already have a Java runtime installed and you really don't want multiple Java runtimes on computer.

Either way another tulip statement from SY.

As a contractor toad is great I've used it for 10 years. I doubt however that SY could afford to buy it.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X