• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WIPRO

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Plenty more where they came from. I guarantee that you will run out of shells before they run out of bobs willing to sleep 10 to a house for next to fsck all. When you see where they live back home, you realise why they do it.

I won't work with any of the companies that pull the visa stunt out of principle. When one of the resource managers at my current client tried the Knowledge Transfer visa line to give me some cheapness from Chennai. I told him that if he did I would be having a word with the UK border agency, having the poor sods sent home, and his company reported for abuse of the system.

We abolished slavery in the 18th century but know its called a global workforce. Aparently all we did was remove the slave ships and tobacco...
    This is the other side of the story that sometimes get's overlooked.

Comment

They have been abusing ICT (Intra Company Transfer) visa for ages. A recent example:

Friends Life signs £1.37bn deal with TCS subsidiary

TCS subsidiary? I am sure diligenta has been formed to disguise tax system.

Comment

Wipro Bait and Switch routine .........

Interesting to read this.

Previously had Wipro come in at former site (was great as being Offshored/Centre Of Excellence'd/ ousourced & offshored led me into contracting .... )

As I had to more or less interview my replacements - learnt quite a bit about the way they pull the wool over business eyes.

To start with we had top notch candidates, knew the subject, and could think on their own. Then it started to go downhill .....

Seems Wipro have an A-Team who get the questions, and then feed these down the line to the D-team who'll be the ones who end up doing the job. We found this out by swapping the questions around, and getting a perfect answer, to the wrong question.

Further digging we found the Wipro/Wipro college funded message board where D-team were asking for questions for ABC/XYZ company/skillset ......

This was just after Wipro had been banned in their own Country from tendering for contracts, and just before Wipro was banned by the World Bank for 4 years.

You know what they say "A leopard cannot change it's spots"

My 2 month handover ended up taking 10 months (and would have carried on had I not landed my 1st contract)

The contractor I had working with me - he's now the permie, with 6 bobs reporting to him. Of which I'm reliabily informed 4 cannot do the job they are paid to do.

But as we all know - as long as somebody reduces a figure on a balance sheet, and the business don't complain too much - then bobs are the way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          Damn right!

If you want an example of the "plenty cheapness" approach to a project, have a look at the following message just posted on the Oracle Coherence forums:

I'm getting this error after I put the many data using command pattern(Coherence Incubator ).
          May I teach and have the following error correspondence measure?
          Moreover, may not I teach why the following error occurs and may have?

Simple RTFM would have solved that problem before it even started. Real basic stuff, TBH. But hey, these guys are cheap!
          Yeah because English people never ask stupid questions. The only difference is, they ask their questions in decent English.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The problem is, whether we like it or not, our world is changing and it's not going to get any better for us. When your own government allows this to happen, for the sake of "big business" (and back handers...) then of course you're screwed. As mentioned above, the business will only ever look at the costs involved, and very rarely at the benefits or achievements. Most cost-cutters work towards their own bonus, which is very much a short termist attitude more beneficial to that individual than to the organisation.

In my past I have known SMEs, each replaced by 5 or 6 people offshore, and these offshore teams actually manage to achieve less than the single SME. It's shocking, but management don't care because they get their bonus for "cutting costs". I have a real axe to grind because I've seen good teams (including mine) broken up and replaced by incompetent people offshore who in the end don't actually cost that much less anyway, not when you consider the whole picture.

Having said that, it's easier to change yourself than it is to change the world around you.
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 14 November 2011, 20:04.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Yeah because English people never ask stupid questions. The only difference is, they ask their questions in decent English.
              Or make pointless posts on Internet Forums...
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Try holding a conference call with them.

Comment

I dealt with them in my last permie job. Dreadful lot. They would call in and ask for technical support on a product, however as they were a partner company, they were supposed to know what they were doing... not to mention have done a fair bit of troubleshooting before engaging us.

Nope.

When you would bat the issue back to them, as there wasn't enough substance for us to do any proper troubleshooting, they would start getting aggressive and yell down the line at us.

Nothing like covering up utter lack of knowledge with bluster.

Place I'm at now relies on them heavily for a big project. The Wipro PMs haven't a clue how to properly run anything, and still resort to the bullying/yelling tactics. That might go over well out there, but not so much here.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    Or make pointless posts on Internet Forums...

Deserves a "Feather in my Cap award" FIMC - something WIPRO award their employess and they boast about it on their CV's.

Comment

Unfortunately a lot of the personality traits are cultural. I travelled India for some time and now get very stressed out having to work with a lot of them over here. most of them will spout out stuff without any backing, logic or reasoning and without understanding the problem in hand. they can't admit to not knowing, get aggressive when challenged and do anything to try and make themselves look good, including stabbing their team mates in the back.

It is causing me to start hating my job

Comment

Working...
                      X