• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FA to challenge FIFA over Poppy Ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Langkawi View Post
    it's a long time since the phrase "FIFA is right" has been used with such conviction!
    And doubtless it will be an equally long time before it occurs again.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I can't help thinking this is a correct decision. The poppy is a political symbol whether we like it or not. Political symbols do not have to be associated with party politics.
      I don't think it's a political symbol. Or it wasn't - now it probably is after this.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It is a bot of a political symbol:

The original idea came, of course, from the Toronto military surgeon and poet John McCrae and was inspired by the death of his friend Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, killed on 3 May 1915. "In Flanders fields the poppies blow/Between the crosses, row on row." But it's a propaganda poem, urging readers to "take up the quarrel with the foe".
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Up until Tony Blair ordered troops into combat in Afghanistan and Iraq Remembrance Sunday was a solemn affair contemplated in silent respect.
          Don't forget, that these conflicts are the first exposure people of a younger generation have had to what the poppy actually stands for. I was too young to appreciate what the Falklands was about and I was just a lad when the worst of the troubles were over.

Try listening to the Jeremy Vine special on Remembrance day 'The Songs My Son Loved' and stop being so cynical about it.

BBC - BBC Radio 2 Programmes - Jeremy Vine: The Songs My Son Loved

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          However, I don't understand why the England football team should suddenly feel the need for this, having played for a long time without poppies.
          I can't remember any of the home counties playing on or around Remembrance day in at least the last decade. It's because it's being played the day before and it's in the public eye that young lads are getting killed out their daily.

There is no crime in remembering the fallen.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
            Don't forget, that these conflicts are the first exposure people of a younger generation have had to what the poppy actually stands for. I was too young to appreciate what the Falklands was about and I was just a lad when the worst of the troubles were over.

Try listening to the Jeremy Vine special on Remembrance day 'The Songs My Son Loved' and stop being so cynical about it.

BBC - BBC Radio 2 Programmes - Jeremy Vine: The Songs My Son Loved

I can't remember any of the home counties playing on or around Remembrance day in at least the last decade. It's because it's being played the day before and it's in the public eye that young lads are getting killed out their daily.

There is no crime in remembering the fallen.
            I understand that the Scottish team has asked if they can play in dresses as is their heritage. No idea if this is true.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
            X