• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FA to challenge FIFA over Poppy Ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FA to challenge FIFA over Poppy Ban

Looks like the FA are going to challenge a FIFA ruling, and push to have the England team sporting Poppies embroidered into their shirts for the forthcoming match against Spain.

FIFA have written to the FA to remind them of Law 4, FIFA’S laws of the game, which prohibits any sort of political symbolism in international football. If any England player is wearing a poppy on their shirt referee Frank de Bleeckere could refuse to start the match.

A FIFA statement yesterday said: “We regret to inform you that accepting such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football. Therefore, we confirm that the suggested embroidery on the match shirt cannot be authorised.”

There is lots of talk in today’s media about this so called tradition without anyone noting the irony that this ‘tradition’ has never been used before by the international side.

Up until Tony Blair ordered troops into combat in Afghanistan and Iraq Remembrance Sunday was a solemn affair contemplated in silent respect.

What does the panel think?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I think FIFA are right.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

FIFA should stick to their guns. The footballers are quite free to wear their poppies before and after the match.

Comment

Rules is rules.

Nothing to stop them wearing an armband with the poppy embroidered - or even a black armband.

The badging on the shirts should remain as specified.

Comment

FIFA are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Rules is rules.

Nothing to stop them wearing an armband with the poppy embroidered - or even a black armband.

The badging on the shirts should remain as specified.
            It a law not a rule.

I think they would be in trouble if they had the poppy on an arm band also.

Nothing wrong with a poppy on tshirt underneath shirt and then they can take off at end of match. They could also warm up with this on

Comment

Have to agree with most comments. As a former soldier, I feel that few things are more deserving of veneration than the Poppy. Symbolising as it does the sacrifice of so many.
              However, the notion that someone with the morals of a John Terry or an Ashley Cole should be getting any kudos from sporting it whilst playing football, is frankly absurd.
              An old cynic like me might also view the FA's part in this as being driven by economics, and the possibility of cashing in on shirt sales.
              No, if footballers want to impress me with their virtue, then let them donate their match fees from the saturday closest to Remembrance Sunday to Help for Heroes and/or the British Legion.
              For my part, I have booked a day's leave this Friday. An old Army mate and I shall be repairing to a hostelry to remember absent friends, and to toast our successes in the Cold War, and to drink to the many fallen!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                For my part, I have booked a day's leave this Friday. An old Army mate and I shall be repairing to a hostelry to remember absent friends, and to toast our successes in the Cold War, and to drink to the many fallen!!

Don't forget to remember the mountains of potatoes you peeled
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Don't forget to remember the mountains of potatoes you peeled
                  I shall be doffing my cap accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Have to agree with most comments. As a former soldier, I feel that few things are more deserving of veneration than the Poppy. Symbolising as it does the sacrifice of so many.
                    However, the notion that someone with the morals of a John Terry or an Ashley Cole should be getting any kudos from sporting it whilst playing football, is frankly absurd.
                    An old cynic like me might also view the FA's part in this as being driven by economics, and the possibility of cashing in on shirt sales.
                    No, if footballers want to impress me with their virtue, then let them donate their match fees from the saturday closest to Remembrance Sunday to Help for Heroes and/or the British Legion.

If I remember correctly England players don't get paid matches fees, or if they do it already goes to a nominated charity.

Comment

Working...
                    X