• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon.com cock up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My Calibre library has 4158 books in it. I probably have 1000 on the Kindle at a time - lots of reference books and technical manuals which I like to have handy, since many clients don't have them available.
    Fair enough, all the stuff I need is on the web. Ref and tech I can understand, but pointless to have that many fiction books.

Comment

I got one for the missus and she thinks it is the dogs danglies it is incredibly conviencience (sp) and there are also shed loads of free books to download

Having said that I will probably go for a tablet and get the app.....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Having said that I will probably go for a tablet and get the app.....
        Tablet and e-Ink do not really compare. I find it a strain on my eyes to read a screen for too long, but the Kindle is no different really to reading a book.

Add on the (admittedly crappy) browser, which is enough to pick up BBC news and my Gmail anywhere in the world for free, and I think it's great.

I bought one for my mum for Christmas when I was in America in the summer as well.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

yeah but I want something to play angry birds on too!

Comment

In short, when it works, Kindle is really good for reading.
            I got the latest, small and cheap one and while I already have a tablet - this serves a completely different purpose - it's is a moment of bliss and focus, also smaller and lighter than many of the books I've read, so a very pleasant thing...

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              I don't understand why people go on holiday and take loads of books. One, at push, in case you're held up at the airport.

I go on holiday to 'do' things and go places, not just sit and read - I can do that at home.
              A holiday for me these days would be spending long durations splodged out somewhere reading. Heaven.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                A holiday for me these days would be spending long durations splodged out somewhere reading. Heaven.
                Reading is a sh!thole. Second only to Bracknell.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  yeah but I want something to play angry birds on too!

You can play minesweeper on a Kindle! It's almost the same.....
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    The storage is ludicrous as well. The advert says it can store 1400 books?? Who really needs that? Divide the storage by 3 and knock £50 off then I might consider it.
                    Well it was £150 with 4Gb. Now it's £90 with £2Gb. So they basically did exactly what you asked for.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X