• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bleeding Public Sector Workers!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Aaah,the "institute of Directors"

It wasn't so long ago that private sector workers had good pensions too, these were sacrificed on the alter of corporate profit. You will notice that most FTSE 100 directors still have very nice pensions indeed, not to mention average 40% pay rises in the last year. Imagine the outcry and hand wringing, not to mention legal action, if it were decided that these people were going to have their pensions snatched from under them. The sense of "entitlement" seems far stronger amongst these captains of industry than amongst public sector workers IMO.

I like the way that people are happy to blather on about "the politics of envy" when anyone questions the remuneration of those at the top but don't see the irony in criticising those with better pensions and easier jobs who would like to keep things how they are.
    Not a bad post.

It's such a pity that as soon as I see a spelling mistake my eyes gloss over and I begin to lose interest.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      "all the contractors with kids" that don't have a partner/nanny already at home looking after the kids account for about
      0.0000011% of the country as a whole.

HTH BIDI

Yes but, you tosser, this is a forum FOR contractors. Not to mention, the number of households with children and 2 working parents is, well let's keep it simple for you, a big number.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It wasn't so long ago that private sector workers had good pensions too, these were sacrificed on the alter of corporate profit. You will notice that most FTSE 100 directors still have very nice pensions indeed, not to mention average 40% pay rises in the last year. Imagine the outcry and hand wringing, not to mention legal action, if it were decided that these people were going to have their pensions snatched from under them. The sense of "entitlement" seems far stronger amongst these captains of industry than amongst public sector workers IMO.

I like the way that people are happy to blather on about "the politics of envy" when anyone questions the remuneration of those at the top but don't see the irony in criticising those with better pensions and easier jobs who would like to keep things how they are.
        Good points. A few years ago the CEO of ING bank wrote an article in a national newspaper quite literally threatening to move the bank's head office to some other country if people didn't stop complaining about his multi million euro bonusses. The newspaper's editor wrote a very polite response explaining that seeing as he's not the owner of the business it's not his decision, and seeing as it's his responsibility to do what's best for shareholders, he would have to prove that such a decision is in their interests.

3 months later, the very same CEO visited the Finance Minister on a Sunday afternoon demanding 30 billion euros to keep the bank afloat and open as they'd lost all their customers' money betting on dodgy US mortgages.

He was then paid about 10 million, out of a company that was just saved by the taxpayer, to retire.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Not a bad post.

It's such a pity that as soon as I see a spelling mistake my eyes gloss over and I begin to lose interest.
          It's spelt right, it's just the wrong word. I've fixed it now though.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The way I see it, it's not about an attack on pensions in principle, it's a spin-off from the billions that Brown chucked at the public sector 'in order to bring spending in line with blah blah blah'

the money was not spent wisely, with a huge chunk going into wages. The knock on effect in pensions is massive.
            Trying to reset the balance is difficult. using inflation, pay freezes and small cuts is the best way imo

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Trying to reset the balance is difficult. using inflation, pay freezes and small cuts is the best way imo
              What's wrong with batons & water cannon?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

There are some public sector workers I know that genuinely do need bleeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Good points. A few years ago the CEO of ING bank wrote an article in a national newspaper quite literally threatening to move the bank's head office to some other country if people didn't stop complaining about his multi million euro bonusses. The newspaper's editor wrote a very polite response explaining that seeing as he's not the owner of the business it's not his decision, and seeing as it's his responsibility to do what's best for shareholders, he would have to prove that such a decision is in their interests.

3 months later, the very same CEO visited the Finance Minister on a Sunday afternoon demanding 30 billion euros to keep the bank afloat and open as they'd lost all their customers' money betting on dodgy US mortgages.

He was then paid about 10 million, out of a company that was just saved by the taxpayer, to retire.
                  Yes but as i have pointed out before, the uk is a nation of bankers, its the Uk's biggest industry taking in the biggest amount of cash so although they have dropped us in the tulip we still need to pay for top talent cos if we don't some other country will, and if we lose banking what have we got to fall back on nothing, on the other hand the public sector is a large bloated organisation full of dead wood that should have been cleared out along time ago and whilst alot of them do a stirling job many of them are taking the P***

Give to those that produce or deserve and take it from those that don't

Comment

It wasn't so long ago that private sector workers had good pensions too, these were sacrificed on the altar of corporate profit. You will notice that most FTSE 100 directors still have very nice pensions indeed, not to mention average 40% pay rises in the last year. Imagine the outcry and hand wringing, not to mention legal action, if it were decided that these people were going to have their pensions snatched from under them. The sense of "entitlement" seems far stronger amongst these captains of industry than amongst public sector workers IMO.

Yeah, bankers have f***ed up. But we are where we are.

People working in the private sector, the vast majority of whom are not investment bankers or members of the institute of directors, earn less than public sector workers (average wage is lower), don't have defined pensions except in a small number of cases, don't have jobs for life and don't retire at 55.

So if they are taking a hit due to the UK deficit problem, so can public sector workers whose cost (thanks to Gordon) is a significant factor in that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                      Yes but as i have pointed out before, the uk is a nation of bankers, its the Uk's biggest industry taking in the biggest amount of cash so although they have dropped us in the tulip we still need to pay for top talent cos if we don't some other country will, and if we lose banking what have we got to fall back on nothing, on the other hand the public sector is a large bloated organisation full of dead wood that should have been cleared out along time ago and whilst alot of them do a stirling job many of them are taking the P***

Give to those that produce or deserve and take it from those that don't
                      A full stop isn't generally considered optional, you know.

HTH.

(oh and I UK because a lot and sterling)
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X