• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Awareness Course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had to endure a sermon on how driving faster didn't get you to your destination any quicker. Had to bite my tongue during that section.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      We had to endure a sermon on how driving faster didn't get you to your destination any quicker. Had to bite my tongue during that section.
      So why do cop cars travel at 100 mph then? Why not travel at say 0.1 mph. 0.1 mph is a really safe speed and gets you there just as quick.

There's no way I would attend one of these stupid courses. I'd end up saving 3 points on my licence but end up punching the **** out of some jumped up moron with two GCSE's in a uniform.

Comment

No one has mentioned losing a days billing. Thats a bloody expensive fine!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
          Another Stealth Stupidity Tax.
          FTFY

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          There's no way I would attend one of these stupid courses. I'd end up saving 3 points on my licence but end up punching the **** out of some jumped up moron with two GCSE's in a uniform.
          You can't punch someone just because they have more GCSEs than you, DP.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Attended one last year. It went slowly to cover the typical numpty who needs things explaining 200 times. I did however learn a couple of things like what a dual carriageway actual is* and avoided the 3 points, the slightly large fine and the consequentially larger insurance premium.

* its the barriers in the middle. If the barriers are broken the maximum speed is would be 60 rather than 70 regardless of the number of lanes.
            Eh? That don't sound right. Is some GCSE level wannabe copper feeding you some bull? I need some more evidence if I'm ever to believe that.

Dual carriageways
            A dual carriageway is a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways.
            Dual Carriageway

Comment

So why do cop cars travel at 100 mph then? Why not travel at say 0.1 mph. 0.1 mph is a really safe speed and gets you there just as quick.
              Because to them seconds count? Or because it's home time and they can.

Ever tried working out the savings on your total journey time when going at 100 mph instead of 85, when you spend 20 minutes going at 20 mph to and from the motorway? Not much unless you are doing a lot of motorway miles*. Even if you could go infinitely fast on the motorway, your journey time would still be at least 40 minutes in the aforementioned case, and most of the time gains would be had at far slower speeds than infinite, and rather closer to 85. So, depressing as it may sound, you actually receive the greatest difference in time savings at slower speeds, and the faster you go the less these become.

* and aren't breaking speed limits on slow roads

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Because to them seconds count? Or because it's home time and they can.

Ever tried working out the savings on your total journey time when going at 100 mph instead of 85, when you spend 20 minutes going at 20 mph to and from the motorway? Not much unless you are doing a lot of motorway miles*. Even if you could go infinitely fast on the motorway, your journey time would still be at least 40 minutes in the aforementioned case, and most of the time gains would be had at far slower speeds than infinite, and rather closer to 85. So, depressing as it may sound, you actually receive the greatest difference in time savings at slower speeds, and the faster you go the less these become.

* and aren't breaking speed limits on slow roads
                That's probably why my mother in law had one speed of 45 mph, past schools, down the high street and on the motorway. Thankfully, she doesn't drive anymore.

Comment

That's probably why my mother in law had one speed of 45 mph, past schools, down the high street and on the motorway. Thankfully, she doesn't drive anymore.
                  My mother got done for doing 61 mph in a 30 mph zone 2 months ago, which is quite remarkable as she doesn't even go that fast on the motorway. She received a form (I didn't see it, a letter of intent to prosecute I think), but has heard nothing since. How long do the more serious procedures take? She's hoping she's got away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    My mother got done for doing 61 mph in a 30 mph zone 2 months ago, which is quite remarkable as she doesn't even go that fast on the motorway. She received a form (I didn't see it, a letter of intent to prosecute I think), but has heard nothing since. How long do the more serious procedures take? She's hoping she's got away with it.
                    Twice the limit is normally a ban. They delay will be court proceedings and stuff but if it is her first she might get away with.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Twice the limit is normally a ban. They delay will be court proceedings and stuff but if it is her first she might get away with.
                      I looked at a site that showed average penalties, which IIRC was a short ban (forget how short, but not significantly long), 3 to 6 points and £300. She's had no other convictions. It's probably approaching the 3 month of not hearing anything further after the first form she sent back admitting to the offence, so her hopes are increasing with time.

Comment

Working...
                      X