• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Awareness Course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I looked at a site that showed average penalties, which IIRC was a short ban (forget how short, but not significantly long), 3 to 6 points and £300. She's had no other convictions. It's probably approaching the 3 month of not hearing anything further after the first form she sent back admitting to the offence, so her hopes are increasing with time.
    Well fingers crossed but when I got done for 64 in a 30 it took well over 6 months and had to do my bit in court. Got 3 points and a 150 quid or so fine. Had to take lawer to represent me cause I couldn't afford a ban as well.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Well fingers crossed but when I got done for 64 in a 30 it took well over 6 months and had to do my bit in court. Got 3 points and a 150 quid or so fine. Had to take lawer to represent me cause I couldn't afford a ban as well.
      64 in a 30.

You had it easy.

125 in a school zone, pissed on whisky and covered in coke.

Six points and £200.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        64 in a 30.

You had it easy.

125 in a school zone, pissed on whisky and covered in coke.

Six points and £200.
        But an arse like the Mersy Tunnel once the entire cop shop had dipped their truncheons I will wager.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Attended one last year. It went slowly to cover the typical numpty who needs things explaining 200 times. I did however learn a couple of things like what a dual carriageway actual is* and avoided the 3 points, the slightly large fine and the consequentially larger insurance premium.

* its the barriers in the middle. If the barriers are broken the maximum speed is would be 60 rather than 70 regardless of the number of lanes.
          I think they are trying to justify punishing motorists who would not have been 20 odd years ago.

The highway code used to state that the limit is 70 on a dual carriageway and 60 on a single carriageway if a national speed limit sign was displayed, there were no caveats or definitions of multi-lane (apparently now single carriageway) roads which appeared to be dual carriageways being otherwise. The ABD lobbied for the highway code to be clarified a few years ago, as they believed this 'loophole' in the highway code was being exploited by camera partnerships whether it was or not I don't know.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

My mother got done for doing 61 mph in a 30 mph zone 2 months ago, which is quite remarkable as she doesn't even go that fast on the motorway. She received a form (I didn't see it, a letter of intent to prosecute I think), but has heard nothing since. How long do the more serious procedures take? She's hoping she's got away with it.
            Notice of Intent to Prosecute. aka NIP.

You have to respond within 14 days I think, might be 28, to confirm or deny you were the driver or not, otherwise it's big trouble, you can't just ignore it.

I'd advise more but as my first NIP was in Swansea I've only got the Welsh language bit left, can't find the North Yorks one ATM...

61 in a 30 means either max points and a big fine or a ban based on what I've seen, but sometimes these things can just disappear, due to Police workload...

But if fear if she's ignored the NIP....

Comment

Because to them seconds count? Or because it's home time and they can.

Ever tried working out the savings on your total journey time when going at 100 mph instead of 85, when you spend 20 minutes going at 20 mph to and from the motorway? Not much unless you are doing a lot of motorway miles*. Even if you could go infinitely fast on the motorway, your journey time would still be at least 40 minutes in the aforementioned case, and most of the time gains would be had at far slower speeds than infinite, and rather closer to 85. So, depressing as it may sound, you actually receive the greatest difference in time savings at slower speeds, and the faster you go the less these become.

* and aren't breaking speed limits on slow roads
              Just for fun I tried a numerical example: Using, for round numbers, 18 minutes taken for to and from motorway legs (20mph for 6 miles, at each end), and travelling 60 miles on the motorway at any chosen speed.

Average speed = 72 / (0.6 + 60/V), where V is the motorway speed. 72 is the the total trip distance (6*2 + 60 miles).

Turns out that the maximum speed of change in average speed occurs at -100 mph (where an infinite rate of change occurs and hence the best time savings are to be found for least changes in speed), very useful, and of course the maximum average is 120 mph when driving infinitely fast on the motorway, which is approached asymptotically (ever more slowly) to infinity. Little is gained near infinite speed. The second derivative of average speed with respect to motorway leg speed is less illuminating unfortunately,and there are infinite derivatives. So anyway the gist of it is that speeders would do better to drive in reverse at 100 mph on the motorway to maximise increases in speed because, in this example, for a infinitesimal changes in speed at -100 mph, infinite differentials in average journey speed can be had. Unless I screwed up.

72/(0.6+60/v) - Wolfram|Alpha
              4320./(60.+0.6 v)^2 - Wolfram|Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Notice of Intent to Prosecute. aka NIP.

You have to respond within 14 days I think, might be 28, to confirm or deny you were the driver or not, otherwise it's big trouble, you can't just ignore it.

I'd advise more but as my first NIP was in Swansea I've only got the Welsh language bit left, can't find the North Yorks one ATM...

61 in a 30 means either max points and a big fine or a ban based on what I've seen, but sometimes these things can just disappear, due to Police workload...

But if fear if she's ignored the NIP....
                She hasn't ignored it. She received it and send it back soon after the offence, and it's now been 2 or 3 months without a further word. Based on what northernladuk says, it might take 6 months or more before a summons is received.

Comment

She hasn't ignored it. She received it and send it back soon after the offence, and it's now been 2 or 3 months without a further word. Based on what northernladuk says, it might take 6 months or more before a summons is received.
                  Sorry, misread I think, I got my two NIPS dead quick, and my Fine/SAC notices too, delay is only good then for ur mum, means it's lost in the pile, there's websites out there who are ITK on these thing's, have a google, I can't remember the links due to the Special Brew....

Comment

Just for fun I tried a numerical example: Using, for round numbers, 18 minutes taken for to and from motorway legs (20mph for 6 miles, at each end), and travelling 60 miles on the motorway at any chosen speed.

Average speed = 72 / (0.6 + 60/V), where V is the motorway speed. 72 is the the total trip distance (6*2 + 60 miles).
                    Interestingly today there were loads of cop cars out on the motorway so instead of going at my usual 80-100mph depending on how bored I am I had to go under 80mph. I actually arrived home about 5 minutes later because I had missed the traffic at the end of my journey and there was no queue at the petrol station.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Interestingly today there were loads of cop cars out on the motorway so instead of going at my usual 80-100mph depending on how bored I am I had to go under 80mph. I actually arrived home about 5 minutes later because I had missed the traffic at the end of my journey and there was no queue at the petrol station.
                      5 minutes on total journey time is about all people save by going at 100mph compared to 85 mph anyway.

In my example (60 motorway miles and 12 miles of 20mph roads):

85 mph motorway = 1 hour 18 minutes 27 secs total journey time, average speed 55.1 mph
                      100 mph motorway = 1 hour 12 minutes total journey time, average speed 60 mph

So driving like a loony gets you a 5 mph average speed increase, saves you 6.5 minutes and gets you a ban.

Comment

Working...
                      X