• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asking prices...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking prices are not sale prices.

Trying to go through this at the moment as I would like to move. The agent that is advertising our house was straight, as they can be , with us that if we wanted to sell then we're looking at around 20% less (than 2008) with a view of possibly going lower. I'm ok with a 25% hit, there's no way house prices could stay that high forever.

Anyhow, the boss-lady has seen a house she likes, great location, 3 double beds, great bathroom, kitchen needs doing but ok in the short term. So, it doesn't tick all of the boxes (my wants are a bit extreme fo the type of house we're looking at - double garage/workshop in a 3 bed semi), but we could make do.

Turns out we sort of indirectly know the owner, and the house has been empty for 6 years (following a separation) , on the market for sale for over 2 years and not reduced in this time. So, by my thinking, and has mine has reduced in value by 20-25%, I thought an offer of 25% off asking was reasonable. Estate agent didn't even take my wifes name, but said she'd pass the offer on.

So, if we have some sellers prepared to sell at a reduced price and some that don't, what happens next?

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
      So, if we have some sellers prepared to sell at a reduced price and some that don't, what happens next?
      We all end up living in Wandsworth?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        We all end up living in Wandsworth?
        You couldn't. You'd have to fight off all the people who want to buy.
        And they're all considerably richer than yau.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
          What we have now: stalemate.
          Until people have to sell as happened in the last recession.
          45% fall in 3 years.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            What we have now: stalemate.
            Until people have to sell as happened in the last recession.
            45% fall in 3 years.
            Banks won't reposses, so no one has to sell. Paying your mortgage is optional and the banks don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              £250K in the north will get you 4-5 bedrooms and a large enough garden to keep a horse in
              You can certainly get a big semi with garden or a house in the country, but living in a town or nice village is still expensive....
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                You can certainly get a big semi with garden or a house in the country, but living in a town or nice village is still expensive....
                Oh-er.

Comment

Working...
                X