• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Asking prices...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asking prices..."

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You can certainly get a big semi with garden or a house in the country, but living in a town or nice village is still expensive....
    Oh-er.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    £250K in the north will get you 4-5 bedrooms and a large enough garden to keep a horse in
    You can certainly get a big semi with garden or a house in the country, but living in a town or nice village is still expensive....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What we have now: stalemate.
    Until people have to sell as happened in the last recession.
    45% fall in 3 years.
    Banks won't reposses, so no one has to sell. Paying your mortgage is optional and the banks don't care.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    So, if we have some sellers prepared to sell at a reduced price and some that don't, what happens next?
    What we have now: stalemate.
    Until people have to sell as happened in the last recession.
    45% fall in 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    We all end up living in Wandsworth?
    You couldn't. You'd have to fight off all the people who want to buy.
    And they're all considerably richer than yau.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    So, if we have some sellers prepared to sell at a reduced price and some that don't, what happens next?
    We all end up living in Wandsworth?

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Asking prices are not sale prices.

Trying to go through this at the moment as I would like to move. The agent that is advertising our house was straight, as they can be , with us that if we wanted to sell then we're looking at around 20% less (than 2008) with a view of possibly going lower. I'm ok with a 25% hit, there's no way house prices could stay that high forever.

Anyhow, the boss-lady has seen a house she likes, great location, 3 double beds, great bathroom, kitchen needs doing but ok in the short term. So, it doesn't tick all of the boxes (my wants are a bit extreme fo the type of house we're looking at - double garage/workshop in a 3 bed semi), but we could make do.

Turns out we sort of indirectly know the owner, and the house has been empty for 6 years (following a separation) , on the market for sale for over 2 years and not reduced in this time. So, by my thinking, and has mine has reduced in value by 20-25%, I thought an offer of 25% off asking was reasonable. Estate agent didn't even take my wifes name, but said she'd pass the offer on.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Times must be hard, there's a house not far from where we live (it's less than a mile away) that's been reduced by £650k!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Lets be clear, when they say North South divide are they talking about North and South London? No one gives a toss about house prices anywhere else are they are peanuts in comparison?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Nurse, bring the meds, the fishy one is speaking all confuddled again

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    To generalise North and South is a bit silly, there are house in areas in the North that cost a lot more than some houses in London.
    I know I lived in one. Got fed up having to walk for 5 minutes to get from the 1000 sq foot kitchen, down the giant long hallway to reach the front door.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    To generalise North and South is a bit silly, there are house in areas in the North that cost a lot more than some houses in London.
    £250K in the north will get you 4-5 bedrooms and a large enough garden to keep a horse in

£250K in london will get you an ex-council flat

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    If your ooop North can you do this with your property of just keep pigeons?

pack em all in

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Nobody works up North, they all sign on.
    I'm working up North, getting the same rate as I get when I work down south but twice the house

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...es-luxury.html
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 17 October 2011, 14:20.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X